Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 4L60E issues. 3-4 gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 4L60E issues. 3-4 gears

Hi I have a 2004 Silverado with 3200 stall flt converter with a level 3 Performabuilt transmission. Out of the blue it just revd smoothly out of 4th almost felt like 2nd gear so I manually shifted to 3rd and after a 1/4 mile or so the same thing. I can man shift to second then back to drive and it will shift thru 3rd back to od like normal then after a few hundred yards same thing. It feels completely normal until it revs.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

A slipping/worn-out 3/4 clutch is one of the most common problems reported here.

However your description is not clear to me.
What do you mean by "It feels completely normal until it revs"?
Do you mean its normal under light throttle but has problems under high throttle?
Or that it works at low RPM but not high RPM?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes the description is odd if it is shifting normally through all 4 gears till it revs i would have to think its losing pressure How is the level ? what does fluid smell look like and how old is the unit ?
Feel free to give us a call if you like.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes the description is odd if it is shifting normally through all 4 gears till it revs i would have to think its losing pressure How is the level ? what does fluid smell look like and how old is the unit ?
Feel free to give us a call if you like.

my bad. It acts completely normal in 4th gear under cruise for like 5 seconds then it feels like it's in second gear. No noises or movement from it. Its not downshifting the rpms just go up it never showed signs of slippage. I've had instances where the tq converter would lock and unlock constantly under cruise an it would throw a code about a transmission component slipping but it never felt like it was the transmission itself was slipping in gear. What all could cause the loss of pressure? Could it possibly be a shot tq converter? 3 years old it's in my daily driver. It happened immediately. Only has about 55k miles on it.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A slipping/worn-out 3/4 clutch is one of the most common problems reported here.

However your description is not clear to me.
What do you mean by "It feels completely normal until it revs"?
Do you mean its normal under light throttle but has problems under high throttle?
Or that it works at low RPM but not high RPM?
Under light throttle cruising conditions. Not acceleration. 4th gear feels normal and holds rpms for like 5 seconds then immediately feels like it's in 2nd gear no noises or indication of shifting. It worked fine then I got in it and this happened out of nowhere.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:28 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

That sounds exactly like a slipping 3/4 clutch.
Give PerformaBuilt a call, but I'm pretty sure you will be sending it back to them.
You might consider upgrading the rebuild to the Sonnax input drum which is a 3/4 clutch improvement which has only been available for a few years.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes give us a call and we can work it out ,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Help 4L60E issues. 3-4 gears