Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 1st gear from a dig

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 1st gear from a dig

I've looked a good bit for the answer to my problem and can't seem to find anyone else that has had this problem. At a dead stop, my car will not get above 2,000 rpm even if I power brake it with my foot to the floor. If I pull it into 1, it does the same thing but once I get off the line, it shifts down into 1st and starts spinning. It's like it starts off in 2nd gear no matter what and then shifts into 1st once it gets going. It's a built 4l60e and a 3800 stall. Both from PTC. If this is the converter that is bad then I'm probably going to have to get another converter somewhere else because this will make the 3rd time in 6 months that it's had to be rebuilt. Last time the lock up clutch went bad after a month of normal driving. Anyone that has any suggestions or thinks they know the answer please respond
Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

Stating that you have had the converter rebuilt 3 times hints that something is fundamentally wrong with the converter or the trans.
Not being able to foot-brake a 3800 converter does indicate a bad converter.
If you trans is really starting in 2nd and then downshifting to 1st, that is very unusual.
A bad manifold pressure switch can cause strange shifting as if the shifter is in the wrong position and even moving around. A good scanner could diagnose this by indicating what gear the PCM thinks the shifter is in.
So, I'm currently thinking you have two unrelated problems.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Stating that you have had the converter rebuilt 3 times hints that something is fundamentally wrong with the converter or the trans.
Not being able to foot-brake a 3800 converter does indicate a bad converter.
If you trans is really starting in 2nd and then downshifting to 1st, that is very unusual.
A bad manifold pressure switch can cause strange shifting as if the shifter is in the wrong position and even moving around. A good scanner could diagnose this by indicating what gear the PCM thinks the shifter is in.
So, I'm currently thinking you have two unrelated problems.
Thanks for the reply. The last time I had the converter rebuilt, it was because the lock up clutch was almost gone. It's like the car just does not want to start in 1st gear at all right now but thanks for the reply. I'll definitely have someone hook a computer up to it and check it out
Old 01-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Pure speculation here, but if the converter clutch was failing, it could have thrown off some material that ended up clogging a hydraulic circuit. Someone more knowledgeable could perhaps identify whether there is a particular circuit that if clogged, would result in such behavior. Just something to keep in mind given the converter problems you've had.

Last edited by RevGTO; 01-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

Good point that the TCC clutch material may have clogged something.
The Solenoid have tiny filters that are easily clogged.
Looking at the hydraulics the only difference I see between 1st and 2nd is the position of the 1-2 shift valve controlled by Solenoid A, which needs to be ON for 1st gear.
However if Solenoid A were stuck OFF, you also would not have 4th gear.

I still suggest a good scan and further diagnostics to determine the likely problem. If you prefer to throw inexpensive parts at it, you could drop the pan and replace the manifold pressure switch ($35) and the two shift solenoids ($12 each). No guarantee and perhaps even only a 25% chance it fixes the problem, but I know some people find the idea of taking the car to a trans shop or finding the proper scanner to be undesirable.

Quick Reply: No 1st gear from a dig