Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vjcx converter longevity in trans am daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vjcx converter longevity in trans am daily driver

I'm taking the car to have the transmission rebuilt and want to have a little more performance. From the research I've done through multiple websites a vjcx converter stalls 2400-2600 rpm and can shave 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile without sacrificing drivability or fuel mileage. Will the 4.2 i6 trailblazer converter (vjcx) hold up just the same as a regular reman fbody converter or will it not last as long since it was intended to be used in a 6 cylinder? Also will I need an external trans cooler or will it be just the same as stock? Thanks for your help and time. Also anyone who has installed this converter please let me know how it lasted for you and if it was better than stock or not thanks again. Dave

Last edited by DMartin10; 03-20-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen it called a vjcx before but the trailblazer I6 convertor gets mentioned as a decent superl low budget convertor. I am curious what you will get for answers... I know someone recently was considering getting one from autozone and it was under $150.

I imagine it is more likely to last a while if your stock vs a bunch of bolt ons.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is a trans am convertible the only mods are slp intake, gutted cats, and magnaflow muffler, the car was tuned other than that it is stock. I'm hoping for a car that drives like stock until I floor the gas pedal. The 4.2 i6 trailblazer converter is the vjcx. The transmission builder talked like the car would have to rev to 2200 rpms before the car started moving however I've driven a stalled truck before that felt like stock until you floored it so I hoping for the same...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Here is a thread about that install. It seemed to work out well, but the OP has a thread up now about problems - probably not due to the converter. https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...you-think.html
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

I would look at something like a yank ss3600 imo.

And also you will not have to get to the stall speed to get moving. I have a yank 3600 and it will idle itself forward
Old 03-31-2017, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if this little convertor can be safely run without an external cooler , a hundred bucks and change is pretty tempting for my little stocker 98z
Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running one of these for about the last 30k miles. It was used when I got it since some guy put a high stall converter in his I6 TB and was throwing it away. Had no idea of the mileage on it when I installed it either which probably wasn't the smartest idea.

Anyway, It's been a pretty good converter with my eps 222/226 cam. I'm sure there's some performance I'm leaving on the table, but overall it works well. I added a trans cooler for the hell of it, but I don't think it's necessary. Recently I removed pwm and 3rd gear lockup just to reduce wear on the clutch, but that may not be necessary either.

Quick Reply: Vjcx converter longevity in trans am daily driver