Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E no drive after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E no drive after rebuild

after rebuild goes in reverse wants to go into forward and after warmup tries harder, but barely moves. Suggestions?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chuck34
after rebuild goes in reverse wants to go into forward and after warmup tries harder, but barely moves. Suggestions?
Does reverse slip as much as forward? Will it pull foward if you select manual first?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Teching In

No slip in reverse. Only the slightest engagement going forward for a few feet, then nothing. I know the sprag gear being put in backwards might be the cause, but I am hoping there might be an easy fix
Old 07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

that's more than likely it. does it take off if you put it in 1,2,or D?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Teching In

no barely moves forward in any gear and mostly does not move forward at all - reverse is fine
Old 07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Launching!

The Foward clutch circuit is pretty simple. If reverse is fine, then you know the converter and input shaft are in working condition. The only other thing you need for foward movement is a working sprag and application of the foward clutch. Manual First and Manual Second should apply the overrun clutches thus eliminating the sprag, which leaves the foward clutches. Perhaps you have a gross leak somewhere in the foward clutch circuit? Did you pressure test the input housing? Did you have the valvebody apart (foward accumulator piston pin fall out or cracked piston?)

What was wrong with the transmission in the first place that prompted the rebuild?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the info eliminating the sprag. I was helping when it was assembled, and thought we put it in correctly but the other possibilities are way over my experience level.

We did not pressure test the housing. We did have the valve body apart and thought we put it back correctly but we will check for the pin. Considering that the unit work ok when we decided to refresh, I expect there is no cracked piston, but I will check for in anyway.

We did find a crack in the housing of the sun shell and replaced it. Otherwise it appeared that there was simply a little wear on the clutches and some slight shifting hesitation. We added a shift kit as well - I am not near my shop so I can't advise which one. Believe we followed instructions carefully. Unit had almost 250,000 miles of mostly pleasure over the road. Another reason why we wanted to refresh the motor and tranny. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 4L60E no drive after rebuild