Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 3 4L60E lost reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stage 3 4L60E lost reverse

Okay, came home late last night and pulled into the driveway (I live on a steep hill). Car doesn't want to go up the driveway, is almost free revving. Finally make it up the hill, put it in reverse to position car to pull into garage, reverse is gone.

The tranny is only a couple months old, and has no racing on it, and definately no nitrous because I never found it working right.

On the highway, around 70-80 it would constantly shift between 3rd and OD, pretty much as soon as it would switch to OD it would downshift back to 3rd, wait a while, shift to OD, and then immediately back to 3rd again. This would repeat indefinately.

I am using my stock torque converter, a 4L60E Stg 3 tranny build by a reputable shop out of San Antonio, and a properly sized transmission cooler to keep everything running cool.

Can anyone offer insight? The shop offers a full one year warranty on the tranny so they will be looking at it, but I am trying to figure out what cause the problem.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tranny shop should be able to tell you what the problem was after they get into the trans i would think. Wow, a 1 year warranty, that is pretty good, i thought most only offer like 6 months at the most.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you've got low line pressure. There is no common clutch set between reverse and first gear when in "D". Reverse requires a lot of line pressure, so the reverse clutch failing to engage is an indicator since you've got problem in other gears as well.
As far as the source of the pressure problem, could be anything. Bad piston seals, VB gasket blowout, pump, etc.

Could be simple too - have you checked the ATF on level ground with the engine running? Fluid level is critical. Also, it should look like cranberry juice, not prune juice, and not smell burnt.