Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 detent/kickdown cable, does it control line pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350 detent/kickdown cable, does it control line pressure?

My friend has a th350 behind an ls1. It has the stock valve body with a big converter.

The question is, we have the vacuum modulator hooked up and works fine, and he has had the th350 for over a year now, but he has the detent cable hooked up to the tranny to plug the hole, but it isnt hookup on the throttle side.

He manually shifts the car everywhere he goes (its never left in 3rd and just drive) and its always seemed to shift fine but someone was telling me that the detent cable controls line pressure, and without it hooked up there wouldnt be alot of line pressure and it would burn the tranny up.

I dont think thats the case, and as long as the car is manually shifted and not left in high gear (where it would then shift into 3rd before you got to mph), I would guess the detent to not be nessesary.

Can someone give me the technical usage of a detent cable?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The detent cable in a TH350 is just for the passing gear. It will apply the necessary to achieve 2nd gear at a certain speed and allow the 2-3 shift if detent is still engaged. The detent, in most cases, is intentionally left out in a manual valvebody, because it is useless. Same goes for the vacuum modulator, but in certain instances the vacuum modulator may have to be supplied vacuum even in a manual valvebody.

Exception: There are some FORD transmissions that will burn up in a matter of minutes/seconds if the detent cable isn't hooked up or is broken or comes loose. As far as the technical usage of the ford transmission and detent, I haven't a clue.

Quick Reply: TH350 detent/kickdown cable, does it control line pressure?