Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Downshift to lowest gear at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Downshift to lowest gear at WOT

I have this problem since Monday moring commute.

Car at 65 at WOT used to drop to second, I had cam installed a while back and everything was fine put 3k miles on no problem. Last saturday everything was fine, washed the car on sunday , even the engine bay. Dried of the engine/ car put into garage, went to work monday and threw a code about 30 seconds after I started the car, started driving and everything was fine, then on the highway I noticed at 65 the car would not downshift to 2nd, would downshift to 3rd then maybe after 5-6 seconds downshift to second.
At work I checked some of the conncetions figuring water might have done something, and I did find traces of water in the TPS sensor. I dried out and disconnected battery to clear code (I never checked what the code was) but the problem still persits.

Any suggestions? Could the sollution be a new TPS, is this a type od situation that a faulty TPS would create. Mainly something from washing the engine caused the problem.

I did search and found some info leading me towards the TPS, although nothing like this situation exactly.
Any help would be great.

Eric
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like your TPS is shot, or a valve body issue
Old 10-05-2004, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Update, service engine light came back on, put in new TPS, still not driving correct, although the SES is still on, Just going to get it scanned and see.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

I know when the dreaded SES light comes ON and depending on where the problem is the computer will pull timing and performance to protect itself from damage. So I would say since your problem started when the light appeared, this would be a good suspect. Let us know.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Had car scanned, only o2 sensor codes, so only other thing is valve body, going to check it out monday see if there is any other damage than valve body, everything else about the tranny felt fine so I hope for the best. Right now I just want to get the car running again so I can drive when I want, I also do not want to spend the money on a new trans at this point.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time, prevent hosing out the engine bay ... lol
Old 10-23-2004, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Solved problem.

Low Trans Fluid

Well at least I solved it, when I changed the filter i was quite happy to see the transfluid beign so clean. Trans is holding up well, I was expecting bad news.