Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny has started slipping... rebuild time...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny has started slipping... rebuild time...

It's started slipping and it's on its way out. 53k miles, 30k of them with the Yank 3000 and a TransGo. Daily driver with many, many "spirited" drives and 10 or so trips to the track over the last 5 years.

Fluid smells burned and is dark from the friction material in it... I put in a new filter and fluid about a year ago...

Getting it rebuilt here, great local place :
http://www.drwtransmission.com

...gonna be ~$2800 for full rebuild :
- refresh converter
- hardened sunshell
- all new clutches and steels, Alto reds for 3-4
- wider kevlar bands... some other heavy duty style parts he said that I can't remember them all... I'll have a detailed list soon.

He said the hardened input shaft was a waste because it still contacts aluminum drum and you'll just wear out the aluminum (drum?) instead of the shaft.

They go through the whole thing. Supposed to drop it off tomorrow evening, should take most of next week.

They have an 8 sec Grand National there at the shop, I was talking to the owner, very cool guy.

This should really wake the car up, the tranny (and consequently the performance of the car) has been slowly degrading over the last few months.

I think I'll also be putting in a tranny gauge and a bigger cooler - I have the 16k GVW B&M cooler (chained with the factory one) and that has probably helped extend the life somewhat.

Bad30th
Old 10-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, Try the Toy shop in pomona, I bet he will be a lot cheaper..I had mine done on the 98 for $750.00..I had burnt Over run & Forward clutches, he beefed everything up & put in his own shift kit..Toy Shop, Mike 909-620-5849
Old 10-08-2004, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dan - I had heard of their shop before. I did some calling around today to a few places and looks like I'm dropping the car off at the Toy Shop on Monday AM for pretty much the same heavy duty rebuild at a substantially lower price.

The converter will be getting sent out to Yank for a refresh. I called them today to confirm that they can receive the converter overnight, freshen it up, and send it back overnight the next day, possibly the same day. I asked about a restall - it's $200 to refresh the converter, and approx. $450 for a refresh w/restall (different/new parts required). Haven't decided yet, but it would be worth it to raise the stall up to ~3500.

Bad30th
Old 10-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool deal Rob, Mike is a really nice guy..Tell him i sent ya
I have my ST3500 That is probably bad..So Yank can probably fix it for $450.00? It doesn't seem worth it to me because I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for much more than that?