Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Bolts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bellhousing bolts are out but tranny isnt coming lose, wtf??

Im in the process of taking the tranny out and i've ran into a problem. I cant get the freakin tq converter bolts out. They are tight as hell. They arent normal bolts so a metric socket wont work, it takes an allen wrench. I'm putting so much pressure on my allen wrench that i actually twisted it. I'm affraid im going to screw up the bolts and the flywheel. Anybody have a suggestion on what to do or what i'm doing wrong?

Last edited by SScottie; 10-12-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SScottie
Im in the process of taking the tranny out and i've ran into a problem. I cant get the freakin tq converter bolts out. They are tight as hell. They arent normal bolts so a metric socket wont work, it takes an allen wrench. I'm putting so much pressure on my allen wrench that i actually twisted it. I'm affraid im going to screw up the bolts and the flywheel. Anybody have a suggestion on what to do or what i'm doing wrong?
mine have an allen inside and a 15mm outside, I would think yours would to but I could be wrong.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I've gathered the earlier trannies only are allenheaded and later on they had they came were hexheaded

I tell you what man.......
spray that down with wd-40, all over it, then let it soak overnight! Then, set the allenheaded wrench in there, even tap it in a little. Put your breaker bar on it and turn it counterclockwise as you face the head of it!

Good luck man!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use an air hammer to get them out by notching a side and hammering on that notch to loosen them. Shouldn't take much hammering then you can take them out by hand. Then just get new bolts.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

Kk, i finally got them out. I'm going to have to get new bolts cause i fcked these up, but they had to come out one way or another.

BUT, now i have a new problem, i swear i have the worst luck in the world. I took all the bellhousing bolts out, 6 bolts unless im wrong, but the focker wont come off. I pried and pried on it. I got the bottom of the tranny to come out about an inch but the top didnt budge. Its like there is another bolt holding it on or something. What ever is keeping it on is pissing me off! Anybody have some new ideas?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

BUT, now i have a new problem, i swear i have the worst luck in the world. I took all the bellhousing bolts out, 6 bolts unless im wrong, but the focker wont come off. I pried and pried on it. I got the bottom of the tranny to come out about an inch but the top didnt budge. Its like there is another bolt holding it on or something. What ever is keeping it on is pissing me off! Anybody have some new ideas?
Look again, if I remember correctly, there are seven.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SnakeKiller
Look again, if I remember correctly, there are seven.
I just got the tranny out a few minutes ago. There were 8 bolts and another hole for a 9th but there wasnt a bolt in that spot. Its going to be looooads of fun putting everything back together.