Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny just up and quit working. What gives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny just up and quit working. What gives?

OK, i know a good bit about engines and how they work but i have no idea about troubleshooting tranys.

Its in a 94' Wrangler and its an auto. It was working just fine but all of the sudden it just stoped working. It wont go into drive at all, and it will only go into reverse if you rev the **** out of it. But it doesnt, and has never slipped. Once it engages into reverse its in good. I've never seen this before so i wanted to get some more knoledgeable openions.

It does have 150,000 highway miles on it and the trany has never been serviced. Is it to optimistic to think its just a stuck valve or totaly clogged filter?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Hey I got something smiliar but different. I was riding on ice, got stuck stepped on it to get going, she moved on the ice but started sliding so I hit the break. When I got control and went to pull off I had no drive, but gos in reverse just fine. Go figure, and it never slipped, always shifted just fine.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be the splines stripped out of the friction discs. I know nothing about jeep transmssions. I only know six different GM RWD transmissions.
My sisters dodge minivan did the same thing, lost forward, I took it apart and everything was fine except the splines in the forward clutch, it never slipped just stopped moving one day.
You can hope for something easy, just take the pan off and see whats in there.
If you find a lot of anything other than clean fluid it's going to have to come apart.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I dont think the little worn out 4 banger has enough ***** to strip anything.LOL

I tried adding half a QT of Lucas and it started to go, but soon went back to nothing. It doesnt look to be low on fluid, but i could be wrong.