Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused. High stall and stock camshaft....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused. High stall and stock camshaft....

Will this be worth it or, will I not get the full benifit of the high stall torque converter with a stock camshaft?

I'd like to keep the stock camshaft, but buy a high stall torque converter. Then I talk to car people that I know and they say a high stall torque converter with a stock camshaft will not be worth it, wondering you thought on this.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98BXR
Will this be worth it or, will I not get the full benifit of the high stall torque converter with a stock camshaft?

I'd like to keep the stock camshaft, but buy a high stall torque converter. Then I talk to car people that I know and they say a high stall torque converter with a stock camshaft will not be worth it, wondering you thought on this.
I do not know if you will get the full benefit, but it will increase your 1/4 mile performance. I have several friends with auto LS1's and they got anywhere from .3 - .6 tenths cut off their 1/4 times with a 3200-3800 stall. You will need to run M/T ET streets or drag radials at the track to get traction for more benefit from the stall.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a lot of "car guys" tell me a 3500 stall was too much and wouldn't help my stock motor car (had an 99 A4); basically the oposite of what everyone here told me. I got the 3500 anyway and it was the best mod period. Drivability was good and my car droped .7 seconds in the 1/4.

So much for the "car guys".
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

whatever any of the "car guys' tell you IT DOES NOT APPLY to the LS1!! cause most of the "car guys" don't know jack **** about anything new..
Old 03-03-2005, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

I dropped .7 in the 1/4 with the only difference in mods being a Yank SS3600. Same weather and everything. Oy, that was still on stock tuning.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

SSF3500.....5 tenths off and added almost 4 mph.....all i have are long tubes, a cut-out and a lid.....on stock tuning....
Old 03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Did any of you guys do any additional work to the trannys for the SSF3500 or the 3600?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

With out a doubt! The best single mod for an A4 LS1 car is a high Stall tourque conveter. No other work is needed exceplt you might want some tuning on it.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Did any of you guys do any additional work to the trannys for the SSF3500 or the 3600?
I do have a B&M shift kit....and I run the fluid 1 1/2 quart over full because I don't have the tahoe pan.....tranny shifts great.....the converter softened up the shift kit alot and I had an issue with the 2/3 shift because of the fluid moving away from the filter pick-up.....but with it set up the way it is now I couldn't be happier.....well, I would be if my car was faster but it's getting there.....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

I did add a trans cooler right away and later added a deep pan from TCI and a temp guage to watch it (it has been fine). The deep pan is not necessary but make sure that you throw a cooler on with a high stall converter.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Teching In

so the tranny pan from the tahoe is deeper.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Teching In

i know this might be slightly off topic and im sorry but ive always wondered exactly what it was like to drive in everyday conditions and while racing with a high stall (i.e. 3400-3800), plain and simply ive just always wondered what they did while you are driving. thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

sorry but do a GODDAM SEARCH!! this has been beaten to death, there is a thread probably a couple down from this one but...

3800 stall, stock cam. i had a BUNCH of ******** tell me that my car would be slower, it would NOT come out of the hole good , this and that with a high stall and a otherwise mostly stock motor. YEAH ******* right!. i dropped .6 and gained 2 mph! stall and traction (well- sort of for me= nitto's sometimes don't cut it).

like said before, you put a 3500 on a lt1, maybe too much i don't know. you put a 4200 on a ls1 with stock cam it'll LOVE it. it isn't like you rev the car higher with a higher stall so why would the stock cam make any difference? you make power to 5500-6k rpms right? though so...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses, I got the answers I was looking for. Next time I will type in a few different search phrases. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
I did add a trans cooler right away and later added a deep pan from TCI and a temp guage to watch it (it has been fine). The deep pan is not necessary but make sure that you throw a cooler on with a high stall converter.
Just curious, where did you install temp sensor at?
When I install a higher stall TC and cooler, I want to monitor the trans temp.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Thanks
It already has a temp sensor because I monitor it with EFILive. It averages around 140 to 150 degrees. But I too have a B&M tranny cooler. I believe anyone with a high stall converter needs a cooler, cheap insurance.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Thanks
We installed it in the line coming out of the tranny heading to the tranny cooler. Went to the autoparts store and fabbed up a t-fitting, installed the t-fitting in the line and the sensor in the t-fitting. (Saved about $40 over the same t-fitting that autometer sells.) You can also mount the sensor in the side of the tranny case. (Do a search on here...I found the information on here for mounting it that way if you don't want to do the t-fitting way) People also say you can drill a hole in the tranny pan and mount it in there..but that seems to be the least popular way.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA
We installed it in the line coming out of the tranny heading to the tranny cooler. Went to the autoparts store and fabbed up a t-fitting, installed the t-fitting in the line and the sensor in the t-fitting. (Saved about $40 over the same t-fitting that autometer sells.) You can also mount the sensor in the side of the tranny case. (Do a search on here...I found the information on here for mounting it that way if you don't want to do the t-fitting way) People also say you can drill a hole in the tranny pan and mount it in there..but that seems to be the least popular way.
Really, what would be the purpose of another sensor in the trany? If you don't have a scanner to read these through the pcm, can't you just splice into the one that is already there?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
Really, what would be the purpose of another sensor in the trany? If you don't have a scanner to read these through the pcm, can't you just splice into the one that is already there?
Its much easier to just plug in the sensor. There is a perfect bolt in the drivers side of the tranny. The sensor threads right in. It only leaks a few drips when you take out the bolt so you don't even have to drain the fluid. I can see my temps at all times and I barley have to take my eyes off the road.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rufretic
Its much easier to just plug in the sensor. There is a perfect bolt in the drivers side of the tranny. The sensor threads right in. It only leaks a few drips when you take out the bolt so you don't even have to drain the fluid. I can see my temps at all times and I barley have to take my eyes off the road.
Gotch ya.

Quick Reply: Confused. High stall and stock camshaft....