Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter Install

I was just wondering how difficult is a torque converter install? I have someone that asked me if I would do it and I have never done one before so I was just wondering how hard it is. Any insights or tricks of the trade would be extremely helpful and welcome.

TIA
Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do it on jack stands and it is a pain in the ***. On a lift it would be easy. Really depends on the exhast as you need to get that out of the way to drop it. You need to remove the driveshaft, disconnect the torque arm (if stock), remove starter, undo the three bolts on the converter through the starter position by rotating the crank, remove the eight bolts on the bell housing and drop the tranny. You can then swap converters and reverse the order to put it back together. Make sure to rotate the converter clockwise on the input shaft until it fully seats. Takes me three hours to remove the tranny and about 4-5 to put back together. It is hard to line the tranny up with only a single jack and no help to put it back in that adds the extra time.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Yeah, if I do this for him it will be done on jackstands.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ive changed trannys on jackstands but i would see about renting a transmission jack if u can makes it a whole lot easier that man handling it or using one jack.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Banned

I didn't touch my exhaust when I did mine. There was no need to. And I did mine on jackstands, though a lift would have been easier.