Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 shift problem, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A4 shift problem, please help.

I had me trans rebiult. I noticed something strange that it does. I never tried this before the rebuild so I have no idea if it did this before or not. Actually it is two different things.

First, at a complete stop, foot off the brake, I put the car in 2 and move the selector to 1 and the car backs up a little then goes forward. If the car is slightly moving forward and I move the selector from 2 to 1 it does the same thing. It only does it whenyou move the selector from 2 to 1 and not when you move it from any other gear position. My trans man removed the trans 5 times and took it apart every time looking for something. He put another trans all together in it and it still does it. He put a PCM out of a 99 in the car and it quit. So I bought a new PCM and put it in and it still does it. Any ideas?

The second thing it has always done since I bought the car new. It feels like when it shifts from 2 to 3 at any throttle position, it feels like it is hanging up between gears. I mean the 1-2 shift throws your head back, the 3-4 shift feels very firm, but the 2-3 shift moves your head forward then back. Like I said before it has always done this.

Now I am scared that something is going on when it releases from 2 to any gear. When the trans broke it broke durring the 2-3 shift. It broke the steel drum that usually strips the splines out of it. So I now have no idea what to do to fix it or what is going on. I am conserened it will cause dammage.

Any ideas what is going on?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you're feeling on the 2-3 shift is a bind. The band is staying on just a second to long. Check the band clearence. The servo might need to be changed. Also there is a valve you can install in the case to help with 3rd gear accumulation to help push the band off faster.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

He did replace all the servos in it. I wish I knew how to ask him to do this. He already had it for two weeks trying to solve the other problem. I guess I should have noted that he replaced everything in the trans except the input shaft. Also, the 2-3 shift has always shifted like that. I bought the car new with 300 miles on it.

Can someone explain to me what takes place in the trans when it shifts threw the gears? I have a very basic idea. Or better yet does anyone know of a web site to look at that might show a visual of the A4 shifting?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you taken torque managment off entirely in EDIT?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

He put a PCM out of a 99 in the car and it quit. So I bought a new PCM and put it in and it still does it. Any ideas?
The PCM he put in it must have something different in it that the ones that don't work have. I've heard the '99 and '02 transmissions don't interchange electrically so he must have given you a '99 trans. Thats why the '99 VCM works.
He did replace all the servos in it.
There are two, one for second and one for fourth. You don't change the servos to adjust band clearance you change the apply pins.
When the trans makes the 2-3 shift, fluid gets directed to the 3-4 clutch, this fluid circuit also branches off to area behind the second servo to release it during the shift.

So when your head goes forward at the 2-3 shift it could be a problem with the band clearance, 3-4 clutch clearance, servo release hole size, third apply hole size. Not to mention VCM tuning.
It all has to match properly to get the shift to feel right.

It sounds like your transmission guy is not being honest with you.

I guess I should have noted that he replaced everything in the trans except the input shaft.
What he means by that is he gave you another transmission and had to use your input shaft because it's LS1 specific, he used a non LS1 trans in your car.

You really need to tell him to give you your original transmission back. Does the trans in your car right now have a six bolt tailhousing and removable bellhousing?

I could be all wrong but these are the first things that come to my mind.