Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Converter Q..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Converter Q..

What is the difference between a lockup and a holeshot TC..? Which one is better for daily driving?
BTW....What is the stock stall for a 2001 SS/WS6?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're confusing some different things.

A lockup torque converter is simply a converter that will "lock up" when you hit a certain speed (normally around 40 mph) and allow your revs to fall back into their normal range and the car will feel stock again at that point. It conserves your gas this way. Yet when you put the pedal to the floor again or get on it, it will unlock and shoot your revs to the desired stall point.

Example: Say I have a 3200 stall and I'm pulling away from a stoplight. Because you have a bigger stall than stock, it will take more revs for you to get going. So I'm pulling away at a normal pace and we'll say that my revs are going around 2000 rpms to get up to cruising speed. But once I hit around 40 mph, my converter locks up, my revs fall back into place around a normal 1000-1300 again, and I can just drive above that speed normally. Suddenly a Mustang pulls up next to me and wants to go. I slam the gas and the converter unlocks as the rpms shoot to my 3200 stall point....... you get the point.

As far as a "holeshot" converter: I think that might be the name of one of B&M's converters, but I'm not sure. It's just a name given to it, kind of like "Super Streetfighter" and such. But looking deeper at it, any higher converter will give you a better holeshot (as in launching when racing). You can stall them up higher and get a much better jump off the line.

And the stock stall in our cars is right around 1800 I believe.

Last edited by Scotty-Z; 07-23-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LetMeBurnU
What is the difference between a lockup and a holeshot TC..? Which one is better for daily driving?
BTW....What is the stock stall for a 2001 SS/WS6?
A lock up converter goes along with a transmission designed for it.
The VCM determines when the lock up clutch will be applied.
When the converter is locked up it is no longer a fluid coupling between the engine and trans, it's a mechanical coupling just like a clutch in a manual trans.

A Holeshot is a name of a B&M converter.