Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd Shaft Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd Shaft Removal

I was wondering if someone could tell me how easy it is to swap the main shaft out of the 4l60e TA tranny and install the shaft from a 4wd 4l60e tranny. I didn't know if there were C-clips that hold it in there or if you have to take apart the whole tranny to pull them out? Thanks for any input.

Chris
Old 07-24-2005, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

you mena input shaft? if so, then that requires pulling most of the trans apart. The input shaft is one piece with the sunshell i believe, which holds most of the clutches. I dont see why you would want to do this though? Not worth the effort at all IMO.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilds
I was wondering if someone could tell me how easy it is to swap the main shaft out of the 4l60e TA tranny and install the shaft from a 4wd 4l60e tranny. I didn't know if there were C-clips that hold it in there or if you have to take apart the whole tranny to pull them out? Thanks for any input.

Chris
Since there is no difference between the two wheel drive and four wheel drive input shafts one might assume he means output shaft.

To change the output shaft you need to take most of the internals out of the trans.
The c clips are really called lock rings, you will need lock ring pliers since you asked about them, you will also need a few other tools.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I was talking about the output shaft. When I bought the LS1 it came out of a TA with a 4l60e and I was going to put that in my S-10 with the LS1. But since it is a 2wd output shaft it is longer and won't fit I was just going to take apart my old tranny and rebuild it instead of taking apart the new one and the old one just to change switch the shafts. Do you guys think I should just take the two apart and swap the shafts or just rebuild the old one? About how long does it take to tear one of these down? If I'm going to rebuild my old tranny and keep that output shaft will just a TCI performance rebuild be all I need. I think I'm going to use the converter that came from the TA since it only had 24K on it. Should I replace anything else while I'm doing that? Now this might be a silly question but the 4wd tranny takes a spacer then the transfer case. Would the 2wd output shaft still be to long to go through the spacer to the transfer case? Thanks for all your help guys.

Chris
Old 07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two wheel drive output shaft is longer.
The LS1 4L60E's have their own unique input shaft.
If you're using the LS1 computer I would put the 4x4 output shaft into the LS1 trans and since it has 24k on it don't even worry about rebuilding it.
But now that I think about it the LS1 trans has a six bolt tail housing and your S10 might only have four bolt depending on year so you might need to put all the internals of the LS1 trans into your S10 trans except for the output shaft. Again that also depends on the year of the S10 trans too.

Quick Reply: 2wd Shaft Removal