Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Noise Under Console..Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping Noise Under Console..Please Help

Ok as stated im having a popping noise on my 94 z28..its really only when you get on it hard and the car is shifting...when just cruising and on light shifts it doesnt do it...it doesnt do it in park so its not motor related..i had this problem on my 1995 3.4L When i had my shift kit put in..turns out they left the stud off the bolt that runs through the crossmember so i immediately assumed this was the problem..this car is lowered and has a ground effex kit on it wit 17s low profiles..so its very hard to get under and ramps arent a option...i managed to get it up in the air and to my surprise the stud is still on..it was a lil loose so i tightened it as much as possible...took it for a drive and the noise is not as continuous as it was(what i mean by that is you cant hear what sounds like the threads of the bolt moving up and down a piece of metal) but it still pops directly under the console..i dont have much experience with trannys so its not really my thing...i first noticed the sound when i launched the car racing. .so any ideas..tranny mount..something like that..thanx in advance
Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the tranny bolts that are on top of the crossmember that go into the tranny itself is it possible they worked there way loose..this is my only other thought since the sound is directly under the consol in this area
Old 07-29-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone got any ideas im desperate..ttt
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Your in luck, I had the same problem.

I just bought a 93 camaro for $400 because someone thought the tranny was going. It made a knocking sound and you could feel something hitting the underside of the car only on hard acceleration and such. Turns out it was the tranny mount. I was decieving at first because you could push up on the tranny and it would not move so at first I thought it was something else. When I dropped the crossmember the mount kinda fell apart. Very simple and quick install. Fixed the problem completely.
UofMn
Old 08-01-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well turns out you got a freaking gret deal if the motor runs not to mention if the rest of the car is in poor to decent shape....yeah thats the noise im getting like a scraping/hitting noise...so im leaning toward the tarnny mount or the two tranny bolts...got any number on how much you paid for your tranny mount...as money is kinda tight this week..
Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default Cheap

I think I paid $23 at Checker auto, I was surprised how cheap it was, and that they had it in stock.
I am thinking the tranny on the $400 car needs a rebuild, sounds like fun to me, still a good deal though.
UofMn
Old 08-01-2005, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Check to see if your Y-pipe is hitting the tunnel brace. Check it at different rpms cuz it will move around a bit.