Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did not get the TC all the way in, damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did not get the TC all the way in, damage?

I got my SS4200 back from Yank and went to put it in on friday night to race on sunday. I have done TC swaps several times, piece of cake. Well this time the TC did not want to go ll the way back. After several trie I thought I had it. Turns out I didn't. Went to start the car and it didn't want to idle, but it always does that. I held the RPM's up for a few minutes and a few restarts and it'd idle. So I tried to move and nothing. Put it back up on the jack stands and tried again, it barely spun the tires. So I took it out, the two slots on the front of the TC are burred just a bit and the front pump engagment teeth are broken.

The tranny was just gone through last month by CPT (fully built) How much damage will running it like tht do? I have buddy with some cores, I can swap the front pump pretty easy, but is the TC and trans OK inside?

Ed
Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be the pump . Any damage to the converter?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offaxis
Could just be the pump . Any damage to the converter?

Just burred up the slot in the end a very little. I was going clean it up with some fine sand paper.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you find all of the pieces of the pump. Including all of the vanes (10 or 13).

As long as you haven't left any pieces in the trans you should be fine. I did the same at 38,000 miles. My trans is going strong at 98,000 with only that broken pump being replaced.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, we tore it down today, check out the attached pic.

So I took apart an extra 4l60e and disassembled the pump. It had a bad front seal leak before it blew, so I didn't just want to use the pump. I put mine back together, using the guts from the core, tossed it in (being careful this time! 3 clunks!) It ran/drove fine, but I have a real small drip from the front pump.

Looks like next weekend I'll pull it out again and replace the seals. I might have the builder check it out for me, depends on what he'd charge to do it.

It was my first time cracking a 4l60, we stripped the core all the way down. It was pretty fun and very educational!

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Did not get the TC all the way in, damage?-front-pump.jpg   Did not get the TC all the way in, damage?-front-pump2.jpg  
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still thinking about a rebuild kit and trying to rebuild one of the other 2 i have just dont know yet
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
I still thinking about a rebuild kit and trying to rebuild one of the other 2 i have just dont know yet
Just get a book on it, i think we can do it