Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyilt 4L60E acting weird! Need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buyilt 4L60E acting weird! Need help fast!

Ok so my tranny is acting really weird.. i just had it built up and was running great... i got to the end of a run with my friend on the steeet and put it in Neutral and coasted out.. I went to put it back in drive and it would just rev up like it was in neutral.. then i coasted off the e-way and once i got to a stop i dropped it in 1st and it worked.. then it ended up going normal in 3rd and OD again..

the fluid smells burnt.. but was just changed like last week..
I went to drive it again today.. it was driving fine then it started again..
What could it be? Broke down fluid? Bad TC? Clutches fried?

I was supposed to go to the track today

Could i try 6 new quarts of trans fluid and a bottle of lucas oil?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it possible my trans fluid just got too hot while racing and broke down.. and now it doesn't wanna grab the gears? Should i just drop 6 quarts and put 6 new in witha bottle of lucas and see what happens? someone jump in on this please!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Banned

You should drop the pan and see whats in there. Also cut open the filter and see whats in there too.
It doesn't sound good so far.

If the pan is clean and if you want to get more fluid out, put a big pan under the transmission, buy two one gallon jugs of fluid and two feet of 5/8 or 3/4 heater hose.
Put one end of the hose in a jug of fluid and the other in the hole where the filter goes. Start it up and let it suck two gallons through.
This is assuming you can jack the car up fairly high and work safely.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea.. i just dropped the pan and i am going to put 6 new quarts in and a bottle of lucas tranny oil.. I am thinking maybe the other night i just heated up the trans fluid too much and the oil basically broke down.. i figured the tranny shop put cheap fluid in it.. so i am going to see what happens when i put more in it.. I'd like to completely flush it.. but i am supposed to be at the track right now haha.. I doubt i'll be going now.. but if the fluid helps i might go just to try it out..

I can't think of anything that would be wrong though because its all new parts.. and no codes.. so its not electrical.. I guess i'll have to see..
Old 10-30-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

ehhh i think its the 3-4 clutch pack.. fluid didn't help.. wasted more money.. oh well..