Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem after rebuild.....

i just got my a4 tranny rebuilt a month ago....i accidently hit it in neutral from drive while at WOT. Then the car would go into 3rd or 4th. i got stronger clutch s put in. Now just the other day i was driving the car not hard or anything and all of a sudden it started slipping going into 3rd (yes it is an a4). then after a few min it wouldnt go into 3rd or 4th at all. i drove it to the shop that rebuilt it and th said that my speedometer that connects to the tranny wasnt working. I said "that would cause the problem"? they said yeah and put in a new speedometer. I picked up the car and all was well til i got close to home then it started slippinginto 3rd again i called the guy back now he says it is prolly the neutral safety switch. i dont believe him.....would the neutral safety switch cause the tranny to slip ...sometimes it just revs up in 3rd and everyone in a while catches, but only if i hardly give it throttle. anyone have any ideas? could it be the clutches again? thanks alot in advance
Old 12-15-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's blowing smoke up your butt, the sole purpose of the neutral safety switch is to keep you from starting the car unless the gearselector is in neutral or park.
Tell him he needs to fix the tranny right or you want a refund
Old 12-15-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a 3-4 clutch pack to me.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

i have had that problem twice out of the four times(blue clutches raybestos) that i have broken my tranny. it could be ur servo or ur clutches for third n fourth might be burnt this happens when a seal is not put on correctly seems like they r giving u the runaround.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Default ...

thanks guys thats what i thought...i paid 1650 bucks to get it rebuilt then i had to pay another 50 to get the speedometer put in, and that wasnt even the problem. Should i ask for my 50 bucks back since it wasnt the problem? The guy told me he put in stronger 3-4 clutch packs also, just 1 month ago. im so frustrated. what should i tell him? to take the tranny apart? do i have the right to do that? it is under warranty.