Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 speedo hook up, this is what is required

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post TH400 speedo hook up, this is what is required

I recieved a PM so i thought i would post up the Part #'s of what i used. This way it may help some of you out.

Well i got lucky when i bought the tranny and it already had an elctric speedo hook up installed. I picked the tranny up from a local mechanic. it was out of a 88 model chevy van. any how, here are the part numbers for the three things you need.

AC Delco# 8655315
GM# 8655315
Rotor (this is the gear that has to be installed inside the tail housing during rebuild. Or get your local tranny guy to install. like i said mine allready had one in it, so just check to see if you have one on the tranny you buy. you will know if it does if you see an electric pick up that has a two prong female end on it on the tail housing, much like the stock pick up on an A4 tail housing.)

AC Delco# PT120
GM# 12085498
Connector/ pig tail

This is the only thing i had to install after it was all said and done. I just found the stock speedo hook up and cut the end off. Then spilced the wires and connected this pig tail.

AC Delco# 8655291
GM# 8655291
Sensor

This is what reads the above gear. It is magnetic. somewhat like the crank position sensor. Again, The tranny i bought allready had this on it also. i just plugged the pig tail into it and the speedo worked like a champ. I run 28" tires and as far as i can tell i am + or - 3 MPH.

I got all of these parts from the local Chevy/GM dealership. If the numbers don't work, these parts are from a 88-89 chevy pickup with electric/digital speedo. You have to install the reluctor/gear and pick up when you rebuild the tranny. The pig tail just needs to be wired into the existing stock pick up which is located on the tail shaft. It should be two wires.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

And another side note. your stock oil cooler line fitting will fit the TH400/350. the down side to it is that you will have to bend them to make them fit. I didn't like bending them at all. So i went to Advance auto and purchased a 1' peice of hard brake line that had the same type threaded fittings as the oil cooler fitting. I beleive it is 1/8th pipe thread. may be compression thread, can't remember that one. anyhow, I then cut the hard line about 2-3 inches from each end and screwed the ends into the tranny. I bought some Blue fuel hose (the blue rubber hose) and used this as the new oil cooler lines. just be sure to install two hose clamps onto the end that fits onto the brake line ends. this way you are sure to not get a leak there and it blow tranny fluid onto the exhaust. Not good!! Tranny fluid is highly flamable. Then just run the other ends up to the tranny cooler. I am running the B&M cooler that Thunder sales. I didn't even bother hooking up the stock one. I drive the car all over town and have had no problems with overheating!!!

If anyone tells you this want work i guess i don't know what i am talking about since mine has been working strong for over a year and 10k+ miles now. Just my two cents.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Can you not just remove the tailhousing to do this VSS upgrade (without a rebuild)? I have a TH350 and would like to have my ABS signal used for ABS and not the speedo, so I am looking to do this sometime.

I suppose the 400 and 350 could use the same parts, but I don't know.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you could do it that way. I was thinking about it as if you had the tranny out.

Quick Reply: TH400 speedo hook up, this is what is required