Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the symptoms of a broken torque arm bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Question What are the symptoms of a broken torque arm bushing?

Whenever I get on or off the throttle, the body of my car (rear) kicks to the side. I checked the suspension, and everything's tight. The gear guys don't think it is a problem with the gears. Could the torque arm bushing be the culprit?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side to side motion most off the time is the panhard rod thats what keeps the side to side motion! A messed up touqe arm bushing is kinda like a broke tranny mount symtom hard excel and quick stops ya get some bumping around noise The lower control arms keep the tourqe arm in a straight position!just a thought!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

The panhard rod's bolts are tighter than a snake's *** in a wagon rut. Ever since I got my LCA's, they've been clunking with every damn bump in the road. Not sure what the problem with them is, but they're gonna go. That's another topic, though.
So any ideas on what could be causing the problem???
Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Resident

I would have guessed panhard bar too. Did it start when you swapped LCAs? I don't know which ones you have, but did you grease them up and torque them properly?

I put bmr tubular poly/poly lcas and a bmr panhard bar on my car and they were real loud and clunky at first, but that went away after a week or so. I don't know if the bushings have to break in or settle in, or if that's even possible...but that's what seemed to happen to my car.

As for the torque arm causing your problem, I had a friend that tore his in half on his 01 ws6 and nothing happened other than a bunch of noise when he got on the gas.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

It started when I changed the bearings in my rear end, and changed my LCA's (same day). I definately greased them, so I'm lost.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Push on the quarter panel with the car just normally sitting still. If it wiggles any or squeaks you need new bushings.

If you t/a bushing is bad there will be a banging sound everytime you change from forward to reverse motion, everytime you go from neutral load (cruising) to hard accel, and the reverse of both.

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a broken torque arm bushing?