Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious torque management

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious torque management

Can anyone explain what exactly torque management does? I have a vig 3200 and no tuning. When I take off, spiritedly, there is a jerk forward before it shifts. If I have my finger on the radio, I could change the station at every shift. Is THAT torque management? And will a tune remove a previous owners hpp3 tune and fix low speed shift caracteristics? 5-15 mph is the WORST!! 1st to 2nd to 3rd then back to 1st with a JOLT. From what I gather, there is an algorithim that changes with a higher stall install and that messes with how hard and when the converter locks up and when to shift more or less. Are my thoughts anywhere near close?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i've read....torque management is an electronic limiter placed on our transmissions because they suck. this program reads the torque applied to the input shaft on the tranny and then REDUCES your engine spark to under whatever the predetermined value is, as to reduce torque. as we all know, stall converters multiply the tq applied to the input shaft, so yes..torque management is more active after installing a stall converter. i did my converter and LOST 3 mph in the 1/8 mile just because of this. i could FEEL the car lay down on 1-2 shift AND 2-3. i also have a transgo shiftkit (full race/high stall). i still managed to drop .55 off my 1/8 et and cut a 1.7 60'.

removing tqm will shorten your tranny life, but increase your car's capabilty in terms of performance.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It reduces power output during upshifts to lessen the blow to the transmission when its vulnerable...

If your transmission is stock leave it alone.

If it's a built transmission get rid of TM.