Sponsored by:

how to remove reluctor in the trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove reluctor in the trans

Hi guys,
I need help. Anyone know how to remove the reluctor wheel inside the rear tail housing of the A4 trans? Also how do I remove the shift linkage's shaft. This is the little shaft coming out on the left side of the trans and it connects to the arm. The arm connects to the shifter cable.

Here is my problem: I have the C5 A4 and an Fbody A4. If I want to use the C5 tranny I need to remove the fbody tail housing and the reluctor (for the speedo) and put them on the C5 tranny to work. Or I can use the Fbody trans but I need to swap out the shift linkage's shaft. The shaft on the Fbody is too short. The C5 has a black box which goes on the shift linkage's shaft first and then the little arm. This black box has 2 wire connectors with a bunch of wires going to them. I am using the stock C5 PCM and all the wirings so I don't know what happens if I leave out this black box. I talked to a guy with a C5 and he said this black box has something to do with the auto shift option came with the C5s.

Sorry for the long post. I am new to this stuffs and thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C-5 case and the f-body case are different and can't be interchanged. The C-5 case has a sealed output shaft and the f-body has lube orfice for the tail housing bushing. Sorry for the bad news.

Last edited by FLT; 03-24-2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I don't get it. What bushing are you talking about? I opened up the tail housing of the fbody trans and all I saw was a reluctor wheel on the output shaft. Can you be more specific? Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

There is a lube orfice just below the output shaft that sprays oil for the bushing in the tail housing. Basically what I'm saying is that the cases are different and won't work.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

I did some searching and you are correct that the fbody tranny does lube some bushing in the tail housing. I am looking at the tail housing and don't see anything in there except for the oil seal in the back of the tail housing. If the C5 tranny is contained then I don't need this oil seal in the back. All I need is a dust seal instead. I measured the out shafts from both tranny and they have the same length with the tail housing removed. The tail housing fits perfectly onto the C5 tranny. So what the trick to remove the reluctor from the Fbody output shaft? Thanks

Edit: I see the bushing you are talking about. I believe I can remove this bushing from the rear of the tail housing. All I need is the oil/dust seal in the back.

Last edited by LS1Cobra; 03-24-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1Cobra
Edit: I see the bushing you are talking about. I believe I can remove this bushing from the rear of the tail housing. All I need is the oil/dust seal in the back.

If you remove the bushing, just what is going to support the drive shaft yoke?Also the vette unit has a different input shaft and stator. Thus a different tc. Dude do not use this trans. You will be sorry!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

"Or I can use the Fbody trans but I need to swap out the shift linkage's shaft."

This is really sucks. So how do I remove the little shaft to swap it with a longer one? Thanks