Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 vent tube

My friend has an 82 el camino with a tci th400 in it. The transmission is about a year old, ran 13 miles a year ago with it(to the gas station and back, then motor grenaded) and it sat until a little over a month ago. He finally got his new motor broken in... and under WOT shifts it shoots fluid out of the vent tube.

Of course everyone's first assumption is front pump, which it might be, but i noticed his vent tube is pointed down, but can be swivelled and pointed up, thus making it ABOVE the top of the case.

My question is:

does anybody know if the vent tube ending lower than the top of the case will cause this?

he has a RMVB and trans brake, TCI 4200 stall.

thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 07:30 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the vent tube is your problem. I would verify that the oil level is correct. If it is over filled that is your problem. If the oil level is correct the problem is due to the fact that oil pressure is dumping some where causing this problem. Your idea about the pump is a good place to start. How hot is the trans when this happens? You might be over heating it. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fluid level definitely not full, checked, double checked, new lokar dipstick, tripple checked, etc. Temp never rises too much over 170, so overheating is not an issue. It's out of the car now, so i'm going to bring it into the instructor i had in my automatic transmission class, he builds th400's he said he would look at it.

thanks for the input, i'll keep this thread updated as we figure out what's wrong with it.

Quick Reply: th400 vent tube