Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission.. trans.. missin. Save me(posted wrong forum before)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission.. trans.. missin. Save me(posted wrong forum before)

Havin alittle transmission problem, thought I would go ahead and tell ya'll whats up, see if you got any ideas.

It's an A4 in a 94 z28. Rebuilt with some good parts, but some used parts on a budget before I owned the car.
Alright, so 2nd, and 4th is out.. I did a few things to try and figure out what it could be. Basically it will skip 2nd, and go into 3rd, when I get to the point where it would normally shift into 4th, it wont shift unless I let off the gas, then it shifts into 4th, but it gets no acceleration in 4th. If I accelerate, it will rev a bit, then shift back into 3rd.

So even if I hold the gear in 2nd(by putting the gear in "2", it will just rev, and not go anywhere. The guy who owned the car before me had pulled the transmission and not removed the pigtail plug before he dropped it, and said some of the wires came loose. He said he played with them, and it worked ok after he made the wires contact better. The car isn't throwing error codes at all.

** that was my old write up to my old forum, as an update, the car no longer shifts on its own. If I start it in D/OD, it starts in third, I have to shift it into 1st for it to start in first, or go into that gear at all. I can shift into 3rd at any point from first by slipping it up into drive. Kinda cool.. if I actually had all my gears.

Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you are in limp mode now. As far as your no 2-4 your band is now toast. Any performance codes or electrical codes?
Old 06-11-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

Nah, no codes.. I was considering getting another pigtail plug, and splicing all the wires back together. Do you even think that could be a possibility? I would be pretty damn happy if I could get the trans to work without rebuilding it.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:27 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that if it was the pig tail you would circuilt open failure codes. It's worth a shot but I don't believe it is going to fix the problem.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

How long do you think it would take to pull the tran, is it a pretty tough job, and how much does it weigh?

I'm trying to decide if I should do a stock m6 conversion for 1,800(full conversion including labor), or pull the A4 myself, and get it rebuilt by one of our real good locals for about 540-600(including labor), and get a stall.

I would have alot more fun with the m6, but it seems like I would get alot more performance out of the a4 rebuilt. Question is.. what would last longer?