Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC failing??? PLEASE READ!!! Clueless on how to fix!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC failing??? PLEASE READ!!! Clueless on how to fix!!

I have a 99 V6 Camaro... I had for about three years and ever since I have had it, it has threw the code p1870 after driving a long distance on a highway nonstop... My torque converter constantly locks and unlocks itself in fourth when im driving a steady speed (55+) and its even worse when i try to go up a hill... My rpms are constantly sky high all the time when I start off in first or even when Im driving around 60 (usually 3500 rpms) which is causing me TERRIBLE gas mileage.. I mean i can literally see the needle going down when Im on the interstate... My fuel trims going around 70 are about -16! Anyway after a while the tc will gradually completely unlock and my tranny starts shifting insanely hard...like throw me back in my seat hard.. The weird thing is I can turn off the car and let it cool down and everything is great. The transmission itself is fine. I have completely changed out my spark plugs/wires to see if it was a misfire but nothing.... Am i not getting enough line pressure and can a tune simply solve my problem? Or is the TC completely shot and im force to pay out the big bucks to get a new one? PLease help... I want to save my car b4 it ruins the transmission...

thanks
Summer
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

The TC is tricky. I had a bad feeling mine was bad but I didnt know for sure until Yank cut it open and told me it was burnt. If you have a feeling go get it check out.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

well to me if the tc was going out it would have went out 3 years ago but its still doing the exact same thing
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSP sells a TCI SSF 3000 stall for the V6 camaro. i'd recommend it. you'll be locking up again and feel a great SOTP gain. if i wasn't so afraid of touching internals i'd get one. since you have no choice, go for it.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think 1870 is the code my 96 Blazer set. It says something about the valve body I believe. Mine was doing the same thing as you described. I checked the fluid level as suggested by one post here and found it to be "quite low" as in no sign of fluid on dipstick. After putting in 2 quarts of fluid the light went out and haven't had a problem since. Thank god. But I did find a very slow leak I believe from the pump seal or front seal on the tranny. Someday I'll get to fixen it. Until then I'll just carry a quart with me.