Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first gear high rev problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gear high rev problem???

I have a 1999 Z28 with auto transmition. It only has about 36k on it and all i have done to it is put on the SLP cold air kit and a flowmaster muffler and changed the tubing from the heads back to 3'' tubed pipes. I stoped after that just because of gas and my job started to send me checks that would bounce now and then. I ususally baby the car and try and keep it at around 85 to 100 on the highway even if there is no traffic around. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that my car was shifting out of first gear at 3k to 4k rpms not like the normal 2k to 2500 rpms that i am used to having. I am not throwing any codes and no check engine light is on eather. I have also taken apart my intake and cleaned it out along with replaceing the filiter. Along with cleaning all the sencers in the intake. With no change in the problem that I am facing. I have a bad feeling that it is the transmition but I am hopeing that it is something else that i have just over looked. If there is anyone out there that has had a problem like this or knows what is going on help me out because this is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help
Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's shifting directly from 1st to 3rd because your 2-4 band is shot. That's exactly what happened to me with only about 22,000 miles on the clock. Of course this is no expert diagnosis, but it could also be a bad shift solenoid, not enough line pressure for some reason...try manually shifting from 1 to 2 then to D. If the car shifts fine, then it is probably a solenoid, if it still won't shift, then its the 2-4 band.