Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone tell me what i should get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can someone tell me what i should get?

ok i want to get a converter and trans cooler and shift kit but dont know what kind to get i hear diffrent things from people my only mods are---
LT- pace headers
pace- ory
G2-lid
TR-55 spark plugs
cut-out
and thats about it
i have an 2002 camaro Z28(a4) and i daliy drive it everyday and i only run 1/8 mile i want something that will not break stuff and not mess anything up and that will make a diffrence at the track and something that i can use to still drive the car can someone explain what i need to get? iam also thinking about changing the gears, what kind should i get for 1/8 mile and daily driven
thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd call John at Fuddle, he'll get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a 3500 stall with a 2.2 STR and a set of AAM 3.73s gears.
A 3500 stall will not affect drivability but should drop a full .5 off you 1/4 time (don't know what that is in the 1/8th). You could probably even be safe with a 3800 stall and that way if you ever threw in a cam you would be set. However, a 3500 stall will be good.

If you get gears, go with 3.73s if you want some street manners. 4.10s are to much for most any A4 driver. I would go with a set of AAM gears. They are more pricey than some, but they are the gears that GM uses so you know you are okay. If you are worried about the rearend you could get a rear end girdle to try and keep it tight.

Shift kit, that is easy. Transgo 4L60e kit.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanic2345
ok i want to get a converter and trans cooler and shift kit but dont know what kind to get i hear diffrent things from people my only mods are---
LT- pace headers
pace- ory
G2-lid
TR-55 spark plugs
cut-out
and thats about it
i have an 2002 camaro Z28(a4) and i daliy drive it everyday and i only run 1/8 mile i want something that will not break stuff and not mess anything up and that will make a diffrence at the track and something that i can use to still drive the car can someone explain what i need to get? iam also thinking about changing the gears, what kind should i get for 1/8 mile and daily driven
thanks
trans coolers are available from most sponsors. TSP, Thunder Racing , etc.

Shift kit, pretty much with out doubt the Transgo shift kit is the best one to go for.

As for a stall, well your best bet is go speak to some of the suppiers of torque converters. Personally I like Fuddle and have found them very helpful. Tell them what you want from the car, what you currently have and future plans. and be REALISTIC, lying or getting to over enthusiastic on a setup will only result in you getting the wrong torque converter.

Personally I'd look at something around 3400rpm as a minimum. As the way I see it, if you are going to get a stall you might as well get somwthing that is noticable and will make an evident difference.

As for gears, well do you know what you have now? Stock A4's have 2.73's but GM offered optional 3.23's (these where stock on SS/WS6).

This is a big debate and depends very much on what you want from the car and your actual setup.

Personally I like 2.73's and from a roll the work well. And with a sensible stall are pretty good at the track. But the lower gear (numerically) higher will have faster in gear accelaration, however at the cost of terminal speed in gear.

Common options are:

The higher the number the better the in gear accelaration, but the lower the top speed in each gear. This means higher cruising rpms and lower mpg.

Also the stock shift point is 5850rpm combine this with 4.10's or even 3.73's and you will have a very limited car in terms of terminal speed in gear. With a tune you can up the shift points and gain a couple of hundred rpm which will increase mph in gear. If you plan on a cam and high rpms (6500rpm or higher) then these sort of gears become more usable.

With a shift kit and a stall you'll need a tune anyhow to remove torque managament.

Personally I like the high speed ability so 3.42 would be my preferred choice. There's a link in my sig to a gear calculator, use it and see what affect final drive gears and rpms have on mph.

Another thing to consider, the stock 10 bolt axle is pretty weak. Many replace this with a 12 bolt or 9" rear. In which case gears for the stock rear are redundant. If you plan on getting a new rear it may pay to hold off on the gears.

Once you have found out which gears you have you can then look at kits to swap them over.

Generally 2.73's are 2 Series Carriers. Strange Automotive offer sets for these, available from Thunder Racing.

If you have 3.23's then it uses a 3 Series Carrier. There are more gear kits for these and are available from most sponsors such as Texas Speed & Performance.