Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter lock-up solenoid...4L60E...part number?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter lock-up solenoid...4L60E...part number?????

Like Pep Boys....Advance Auto....etc.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i doubt they will have it i get them form my supplier for 13 bucks...comes with connector and all to splice into the existing harness
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try getting one from a dealer. Just tell them it's a 96 and up harness. I have them in stock. Call if you have a chance! Hope this helps! Vince.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Try getting one from a dealer. Just tell them it's a 96 and up harness. I have them in stock. Call if you have a chance! Hope this helps! Vince.
Advance Auto had one for $29.00. Part # 520203

Is this it? If not I'll get yours.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Vince,

Also, does a solenoid usually fail 100%, or does it get sluggish during lock-up?

Also, it seems to not lock-up very well, and sometimes it doesn't at all, after its up to operating temp?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
Vince,

Also, does a solenoid usually fail 100%, or does it get sluggish during lock-up?

Also, it seems to not lock-up very well, and sometimes it doesn't at all, after its up to operating temp?

Also curious about this
Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically if it will actually go into full (100% non PWM) lock-up there is not a solenoid problem. However, a solenoid can operate intermittantly, heat can cause poor connections to be exagerated. But remember, the PCM is constantly on the hunt for slippage... hence the 1870 code that gets so much press... and that code has the range of authority to turn your MIL lamp on... is it on?

Simply put a solenoid is an electromagnet, ordinarilly there aren't too many ways for one to fail...

1. Mechanical failure...Blockage in the hydraulics... clutch mud, metal fragment caused pintle to stick. In other words the electric part worked but the fluid did not flow cause the passage was blocked.
2. Electrical failure... Simple open circuit in the coil, the terminals, the PCM driver, the internal trans wiring harness, etc... these failures can be intermittant or permanent.
These are the most common failures but, it is not unheard of to see intermittant operation of a solenoid, but it is usually not a fault of the solenoid itself. This applies to most all solenoids.

Many times the lock up solenoid either is operating or it is not. I would suspect your torque converter clutch itself. One way to tell if it is capable of engaging properly is to drive ^50 mph and while holding a steady throttle pressure gently apply and release the brake pedal. All things being equal the converter should go into full lock up at that MPH and then release when appyling the brake... and can be not only be felt in the seat of your pants but also be seen and heard... watch the tach and listen to the engine tone. If it is not consistant each time then it is most likely a clutch disc in the converter. Ck the fluid condition, if it is even slightly burned then get a pro to look at it.

g
I know I am not Vince... but maybe that'll help ya.

Quick Reply: converter lock-up solenoid...4L60E...part number?????