Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change tranny fluid or leave alone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Change tranny fluid or leave alone?

I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Z28 A4 camaro. The car has 81,000 miles on it. I purchased the car used 2 weeks ago. I have no idea if the tranny fluid and filter have ever been changed. The fluid is a dark reddish color, and has a burnt smell to it. The car drives great,with no problems so far. I'm contemplating changing it. However I have heard numerous people change the trans fluid and filter and a while later the transmisssion start slipping. That is why I haven't done it yet. What do you think would be harder on the tranny internals, clutches, bands, ect a power flush or just dropping the pan and replacing filter and fluid? I understand the flush gets all the dirty fluid out of the torque converter and the cooler, where as the other your'e just draining whats in the pan. I appreciate all comments and opinions, Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Burnt Smell = BAD.
Change that fluid ASAP, I've use the "Fluid Exchange" aka flush at my local oil place on all my cars and have never had any tranny issues.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

people run into the "problems" when they have gone soo long without changing the tranny fluid (say 81,000) and then decide to go the chemical flush route. Just drop the pan, change the filter, and add new dexron III... not synthetic.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, I'll probably drop pan and change filter then refill.