Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Roll Racing

Ok so earlier today I raced my buddy in his '97 TA M6, with the free mods, CAI, PRO 5.0, and slowmaster catback yadda yadda against my free mods, lid, lt's, ory, LM2, A4 01 Formula, His tires were extremely bald so we went from a 35 mph roll.....needless to say I destroyed him and put like 5-6 lengths on him pretty quick. NOW on to the question, well from a roll I had to put the car in 1 and then shift it manually and I know everyone on here has said this is bad but what else can an A4 do from a roll, waiting for my car to downshift can cost a car length easy so I didnt want to wait and let the computer do it, also I did nick the limiter twice on the 1-2 shift so I dont wnat to do that again, this is my first auto car so im clueless when it comes to autos, im coming from 3 M5 stangs, and an 2002 M6 TA, roll racing makes me miss the M6 already, hopefully a converter will change my mind....
Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

converter will help with the roll racing
Old 08-14-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was wondering that myself. I have a smaller converter (3200) and the 40-50 MPH is still dead where it won't downshift at all. I wonder if tuning would help. Some of the 4K stall guys say there is no dead spot at all so maybe that's the trick. I really want the PT4000.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

With an a4 the wrong thing to do is downshift without throttle and let the motor slow the car down. That causes really low line pressure I think and will hurt the tranny. Upshifting under throttle isn't really gonna kill the tranny. If you go from first, just upshift at like 5K or so so you don't bump the limiter. Then just throw it up into OD after that.

Converter will help ofcourse but it's reletive: the higher stall the converter is, the less likely the car will be caught in the flat spot. 3500+ stall and you shouldn't get any dead spot. A 4000+ stall is like a M6 with 4.10 gears, every speed is a sweet spot.

Lastly, rollracing. A converter will help with shift extension which basically is where the rpms drop to after an upshift. This too is reletive to the stall speed: the higher the stall speed, the less drop in rpm's after shift. The more the motor stays in the high end of the power curve the higher the trap speed. 1/4 mile trap speed is usually what determines a roll race outcome. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

I Have a Yank PT 4400 and holy **** there is no dead spot whatsoever