Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Torque Converter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Torque Converter???

I'm in the process of having my tranny rebuilt and the shop that's going to do it says they have a really cool TC that they install. I was told that under normal driving conditions it acts like a stock TC. However, the second I stomp the pedal it is supposed to "open up" and act like a high perfomrnace TC. They say that they can set the stall speed to what ever they want (3200 in my case). Anybody ever heard of a TC like this? I was also told that since it acts like a regular TC when not being driven hard it doesn't require a trans cooler. DOes this sound right to anyone? I trust the shop since I've had a lot of people sing their praises but I'm still a little skeptical on their TCs. Anybody with info? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay CLEAR of that shop. Sounds like an old school dual stator converter. I would NOT have them touch my car. Just get a RPM tranny and a converter from Precision Industies or Yank. Period. Much less trouble with Yank or Precision than any other converter manufacturer (search for problems with TCI, Fuddle, etc). Learn from everyone elses mistakes....buy the best converter now
Old 09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it is a typical aftermarket unit with a lock up clutch. In the old days before lock up, cooler were very needed to keep heat at bay. Now with lock-up units it is much easier to keep trans temp down. What he is describing is a 3200 stall that will lock up at speed and you will not notice the difference from stock. When you floor it, it will unlock and you will feel the difference. It is very hard and expensive to adapt the dual stator design to a converter platform that was not designed to use it.