Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TH350 problem

I have a problem with my TH-350. Only in 1st gear do I have this problem. The car launches hard but when the rpm's get up there, around 4500-5000 its like something is holding the car back. It doesnt seem like slipping because the rpms do not over rev. The car feels like you are laying down on the brakes. When I bump it into 2nd it takes off like you got hit in the *** at 100mph.

I talked to a guy at PTC where I got my converter from and he said he had a car that did the exact same thing. It was the drum. Now I may not be saying this exactly like he told me but it went something like .... The drum is worn out. When you turn the motor up and pressure gets up there it is letting fluid by the grooves in the drum and it is trying to bring 2nd gear in while you are still in 1st.

Has anyone had this problem and/or can you confirm the sympton and diagnosis I got? Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what he ment to say is the 3rd or direct drum. This drum along with the forward drum are supported by the pump stator. I have seen this wear as the ptc rep has stated! But it is not the second clutch/intermediate that would be effected from this wear. This clutch piston is apart of the pump. The pump acts as drum for this clutch. The stator rings have nothing to do with the second clutch. Just a little fyi.Vince.