Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change the Fluid or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change the Fluid or not?

Hey guys - Just bought a 95 Z today with an a4. Car has 132k on it, and I dobut that the previous owner (woman) ever had the trans serviced. I have always heard the rumor that if you don't service the trans regularly from purchase that you should leave the fluid alone.

This will eventually be a track car and converted to a TH400, but I would like to get 6 months or so out of it while I beef up the suspension and get the car to hook.

Trans shifts hard and does not slip currently, but during the test drive I parked it for about 10 mins to check some stuff out and noticed about a 1/2 dime sized leak from the front of the pan, so I know it needs some attention.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

if the fluid is black, dont even **** with it becuase in most cases the trans is just about toasted and clean fluid will seal the deal washing away any varnishes the old fluid has created to keep the clearances useable...or something like that...
Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
if the fluid is black, dont even **** with it becuase in most cases the trans is just about toasted and clean fluid will seal the deal washing away any varnishes the old fluid has created to keep the clearances useable...or something like that...
Wow.
Ordinarily I would say change ALL fluid's, diff and everything, but you have a good point.
Maybe call round to some transmission shop's and get some advice.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it alone,ive destroyed a trans by changing fluid.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have heard this rummor......but here is why it is to be.....all that old black dirty fluid has alot of the burnt off clutch matrial in it....so when you drain all that out and put in the fresh (no clutch matrial) fluid the trans will bet gin to slip .....for the record we cahnged the fluid in several cars with over 100k on them and never had a problem...it's probably a 1 in 5000 thing....but tere is always that chance
Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

i've heard this only with black/burnt up fluid, a trans can have a million miles but as long as the fluid is red it is ok to change...but regardless of the actual facts of what the old shitty fluid has done to the trans or what it contains in it, most likely trans builders will tell you if the fluid is black dont bother.

even at sears the trans flush class they give us they say if the fluid is black dont touch it, and lets face it, sears is sears, ron white said it best...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Just leave it - been there, done that, tranny started slipping after the fluid change.