Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto transmission shifter button

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto transmission shifter button

hey guys.... A friend of mine is have trouble with the button on her auto tranmission shifter will not push in so she can put her TA into gear... she says she is pressing on the break when she is trying it but it still does not work... any ideas on how to fix?? thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shifter has two item that control the detent button. One is a failsafe solenoid, it only works when power is applied. In that situation it will not allow the detent button to be depressed if the brakes are not applied. The other is the Park Interlock cable. This cable is connected to the ignition switch and only allows the detent button to operate if the ignition key is on (not locked). Well it actually also only allows the ignition key to be pulled out only when the shifter is in park. You will need to remove the center console top to inspect what is causing the problem.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I'm having almost the same problem. I can push the button in to shift it into gear but the colder the weather, the harder it is to push in. In fact it takes two hands once it gets below freezing. When I push the brake to shift it's real hard, but after the button is pushed in once and the brake is held it is real easy. So it's not the cable (i can see it moving freely through the opening for the ash tray). It only becomes stiff again after the brake is left off then pushed down again. I started tearing into things and I think the switch or whatever that is so stiff is on the top side of the steering column. Looks to be a real PITA to get to. If anyone knows if that is in deed what is sitting up there, can it just be lubed or is it sealed? I don't even think I could aim wd-40 up there it's so tight.
BTW I have a 98 A4 trans am
Old 11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Any more specifics here for those who got success?