Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 auto tranny problem

The tranny has been great untill i got it tuned on the dyno (the converter was unlocked btw). After a pull I thought the rollers were stopped but they were still barely spinning and I got the awful gear grinding noise for a second untill i dropped it back down to neutral.

After the pulls I went to drive it home and it was acting really weird. It revv'd up and took off like it was on a delay and after I came to a stop to turn it wouldnt do anything. Acted like it was in neutral no forward or reverse. After a couple minutes of playing w/ it, turned the car off etc.. it finally took off and made it home. The entire trip was maybe 2 miles. The other day I backed it out of the garage and when i went to pull it back in the car didnt hardly want to drive over the concrete lip into the garage.

Is it something as simple as the shifter linkage popped loose or what? The tranny has been great, never slipped or missed a shift so I dont beleive it burned up on the dynp w/ out notice. It never got very hot or slipped anything.

Also if its the linkage or something similar can anyone give me a quick walkthru how to check it?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check the fluid level first...it's easy and free!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Fluid looks fine.

Today I put it in reverse and heard some noise from the rear like something kinda binding up. Like the e-brake was on, revv'd it up and it moved about 6inches and I lost reverse. It wouldnt engage at all just like it was in neutral. I put it in drive and the car jumps like it engages fine. But I was in the garage and couldnt back up to try and move it much in Drive.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you may have a stripped sunshell

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds like you may have a stripped sunshell

Can you go into some detail for me please?
The way it sounded on the dyno was def. parts grinding. Would it also cause drive to be in and out?

Anyway to tell for sure? If so I need to get going on it. Im assuming it would need taken out and torn down to replace it. Is it something where only the sunshell would need replaced or does it usually take parts out w/ it too? Sorry for the load of questions just trying to figure it out so I can get it running again asap. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 03BlackWidow; 03-29-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well you may have more than one issue but yes you are going to have to tear it down to find out whats going on its definatly mechanical and probably not going to be good .

Call 888-744-6542