Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trans, no D or OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New trans, no D or OD

I just installed a new built trans (non-sponser), and it only works in Reverse, and manual 1, and 2.
OD and D it just revs like its in neutral.

It only operates normally starting in 1 or 2 or Reverse.
It will also operate when it is manually shifted from 1, 2, and 3 (Drive).
Once in Drive, it will not shift into OD, it acts like neutral and revs, but it will go back into Drive. Also, when in Drive, its seems to slightly slip...

It stalls great (4500 stall), and pulls hard when manually shifting 1st-2nd, so I got a preview of what that will be like.
I scanned for codes, nothing. Fluid is topped off. Electrical connections are secure.
I started by pouring 4-5 quarts in, (car was jacked) started car, ran through gears, poured in a total of 10.5 quarts. Also put 1/2 quart in the torque converter.

I can take a video of this if it helps. I hope it's simple, I don't want to pull this thing and send it back, but it is under warranty...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Unfortunatley the syptoms you are decribing points to a missassembled or bad low sprag and you will have to pull the unit, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without having any codes I would have to say it is a mechanical issue. In order to make the 2-3 shift the band must release and the 3-4 clutch must apply. It could be a bad 2-3 solenoid that is mechanically not releasing or a sticky 2-3 shift valve. You could have a cut Teflon ring on the input shaft or a missing seal on the input drum or other faulty or misassembled components. I would not drive it and get in touch with the builder asap before you hurt it, if you have not already done so. We use an in house transmission dyno to eliminate problems such as this. This ensures us that the transmission functions when it gets shipped. It sounds like your builder does not own one of these pieces of equipment. Good luck with this issue and post back or PM me on what they tell you. Vince
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info, guys. At least I know the torque converter is ok.
I can't get a hold of the shop until Monday morning. I'll post up what they say. I also only drove it around the block a few times for the test-drive/troubleshooting. It's parked in the garage now, collecting dust, no more driving for that trans...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

The builder wants me to send it back. I have removed the transmission and it's sitting in the garage. Not sure whether to trust them and have it fixed under their warranty (I pay shipping, that could be $300), or go with someone else...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

You mean there not going to pay shipping on a DOA ? I mean for a regular warranty after you had had it a while but I thought anyone would pay the shipping on a DOA ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You mean there not going to pay shipping on a DOA ? I mean for a regular warranty after you had had it a while but I thought anyone would pay the shipping on a DOA ,
Ok, I clarified with them, and the agreement we made previous to the purchase was I pay shipping to, they pay shipping from. So I guess I'll take my chances and let them make good on their product. It's the most cost effective for me, anyway. I'm curious as to what they find...

Now I play the waiting game and hope it turns out o.k.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by lowprofile
Ok, I clarified with them, and the agreement we made previous to the purchase was I pay shipping to, they pay shipping from. So I guess I'll take my chances and let them make good on their product. It's the most cost effective for me, anyway. I'm curious as to what they find...

Now I play the waiting game and hope it turns out o.k.
Good luck and I hope it turns out well for you ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Another note, the transmisison sat for a very long period of time before I used it... could that explain the symptoms (bad seals, etc.) or does it sound like mechanical mis-assembly?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

To me it sounds like a mechanical issue I dont think its from setting. With new seals the trans should be able to set quite a long time without issue

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

UPDATE: they found that it was the input sprag. Does that sound like it could have caused the symptoms?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

I think they ment the low sprag , The input sprag would have still allowed movement in the d but not the OD position ,

Call 888-744-6542