Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new torque converter break in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question about new torque converter break in?

Soon I will be installing a Fuddle 3400 converter. The install will either be in conjunction with, or slightly after a CheaTR/AFR heads/cam swap.

I was planning on doing the H/C swap, and driving it for a few hundred miles to break it in, then doing the T/C. OR Doing both the H/C and T/C at the same time.

Basically, I want to know what I can get away with in terms of break in period VS getting a tune.

I know I can put the H/C in and drive it a bit for break in, but I'm more worried about the combo with the T/C with no tune.

Ideally, I'd like to install the above at one time, drive them to break it in, and then get a tune. Is this feasible?

However, I'm not confident of my ability to install the T/C(with shift kit), so, what I want to know is, if I have the T/C installed, do I need to have break in period before getting the whole setup tuned? Or can I have a dyno-tune immediately after the T/C is installed?

Experienced answers please.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

once you install a converter, do soem normal street driving and make sure that the converter can go through multiple lock-up cycles (50 or so). Stoplight to stoplight driving is pretty good for this. make sure your fluid is level and you should be good to go.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap the converter first. The car is going to be damn near undrivable with the h/c installed on the stock converter. Make sure that you put some fluid in the converter before installing it. Start it up and keep an eye out for leaks. Be sure to keep an eye on the fluid level and then go for an easy drive and make sure all is well. Then you can beat on it.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
once you install a converter, do soem normal street driving and make sure that the converter can go through multiple lock-up cycles (50 or so). Stoplight to stoplight driving is pretty good for this. make sure your fluid is level and you should be good to go.
I agree, give it some time to get broke in.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats what im doing with mine after a rebuild and cammed and a 3200 edge..gonna take it easy for a while before anything wide open happens

Quick Reply: Question about new torque converter break in?