Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overfilled causing slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfilled causing slippage?

I just installed a brand new 4l60e transmission with a 3500 stall. Have had it in for about 3 weeks, no problems at all, ever. Trans temp rarely ever exceeds 180*, thanks to my 24k GVW cooler. Grandma'd the **** out of it for the 150 miles that the manufacturer specified for break in, still have been quite easy on it. Don't want to break the damn thing.

Recently, in the past 5 days or so, it has been slipping while trying to shift into 2nd. This only happens when the trans has been warmed up/is hot. It is a weird slip too. Not like a normal clutch slip ( i.e hit the pedal and it doesn't do **** ) I can go in 2nd gear, but it just delay's when it shifts into it. It's almost like having a manual transmission and just staying in 1st for a bit. However, if I let off of the throttle, even a little bit, it immediatly shifts into 2nd. It isn't a mushy shift either; jack hammer shift like the rest of the gears.

My fluid lvl when cold is at the lowest hot mark, it is overfilled a little bit. ( fluid is red and clear, no burn/clutch material/contamination ) It doesn't slip in any other gears, lock-up works like a charm (except on the hwy rarely, it slips out of lockup but thats a pcm problem).

It is going to get tuned this weekend. It hasen't been tuned because I've wanted to break the trans in first and I haven't had to time to drive up the the shop I wanted to tune it.

Would the trans being overfilled a lil bit cause a 1-2 slippage when warmed up/hot? Or is that bullshit and do I just need to get the pcm tuned and all these problems will go away?

I'm going to drain out like 1 pint tomorrow to see if that helps.

Last edited by sp00rkz; 05-23-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If the shift is hard when you let off the throttle just a little its not a slip , But likley some sort of tuning issue. You would have to look at the data stream to determine first if the shift had even been comanded

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I was so scared that I broke something when I installed the transmission. Whew...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Na you sound fine . let us know if you need anything or have questions

Call 888-744-6542