Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Install

I am installing my stall soon and need to double check on tools/procedures. I know I will need some swivels, and a 24" extension.

Basically, I am thinking....
disconnect driveshaft
disconnect all electrical sensors I can reach
remove dipstick(should I remove from the motor, or just let it slide out of the trans when I drop it?)
disconnect shifter(do I disconnect it from the interior, or under the car?)
remove bellhousing bolts
remove cross member

As far as removal goes...When I remove the trans, should I take the stall out with it, or drop trans and then stall? And should I install the stall on the trans, or the flywheel, then the trans?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141

As far as removal goes...When I remove the trans, should I take the stall out with it, or drop trans and then stall? And should I install the stall on the trans, or the flywheel, then the trans?
Transmission and converter should be removed as a unit and installed as a unit. This means you should fill the converter with at least one quart of tranny fluid (I put 2 in) and then install the converter into the transmission making sure its seated all the way in. Pour some tranny fluid on your fingers and rub it around the outside of the converter snout before installing converter into transmission. Now install your transmission/converter assembly.

Your going to need a really long extension. I had to use every extension I owned all strung together to get the length needed. The last 2 transmission installs I have done all by myself but it really helps if you have someone there to help you out.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

If you install them together, how do you go about bolting it to the flywheel, spinning the motor with a socket? Or a flywheel tool? Or just cranking it?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
If you install them together, how do you go about bolting it to the flywheel, spinning the motor with a socket? Or a flywheel tool? Or just cranking it?
Well first off with an automatic its called a flexplate. Semantics, I know but you gotta use the right terminology.

I have a tool that spins it but in a pinch you can use a big *** screwdriver. Just be careful with it.