Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have had it with my tranny builder - anyone know of a good th400 rebuild manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have had it with my tranny builder - anyone know of a good th400 rebuild manual

I am looking for a good th400 rebuild manual.
only one i have found so far is this one
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_58088_-1
anyone know of one or a better one?

i dont know if there is a race version of a th400 rebuild manual, as im trying to get a transbrake in mine.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-04-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The Ron Sessions (sp?) is a little better book, I have never seen a 'race' trans book since there is so many different things you can do. The Sessions books have some hi performance stuff but its general.

Swapping to a trans brake is easiest if you know whose valve body you have, if you have a TCI RMVB then most of the mods are already done swaping to a TCI brake and nothing needs to be undone. Some valve bodies have you block/open passages and others dont so make sure you have the instructions for both.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

its a artcarr RMVB with a brake
thanks for the info Kev, ill try looking that one up.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for the build i would get an ASTG manual...i can give you a few tips
1. get the thin pistons and the .052 steels and you can stack 7 clutches in the direct or 8 if you are god like me...lol..you will also be able to get 6 in the forward..get the direct pistons from the 4l80e direct drum
2. get the intermediate pressure plate from a 4l80e it is thinner and you can stack 4 clutches instead of 3 on the intermediate
3. i like to use the 4l80e band also becuase it is wider but the band doesnt really do alot of work unless manual shifting of forced downshift
4.leave the drum seal out of the direct drum it will apply the while piston instead of just part of it
5. take the spring out of the band accumulator and push the piston to the bottom and cut a peice of tubing to go over the pin and then put the e-clip back on
6. the feed hole in the VB for the band accum is the perfect size for a 5/16 tap, tap the hole and put a 5/16 set screw in ther to block off the oil feed
7. make sire you have the smooth race direct drum for the intermediate sprag and use the 36 element sprag back there that is a mustthe 4l80e direct drun is a smooth race drum but costs 82 bucks it is hard to find the 400 drums which are around 36 bucks but they are the same drum lol
this will help you out to buld a good tranny
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that looks great but make sure you have a drum or piston with a checkball in it or you will run into a problm getting fluid/air out of the direct clutch and it will cook the clutches !!!