Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Guru's Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Trans Guru's Inside!

I had a quick question for all the tranny experts.I have 2001 Trans Am with a rebuilt 4L60E.The tranny has many go goody parts in it and is pretty well built to the hilt.Anyways......trans works excellent in every way and form except for one problem.For some reason it slowly drips fluid out the vent tube.It is not overheating and is not over full.What could be causing this.The trans has a Trans Go Shift kit in it with 3 washers installed and the PCM has the factory pressure settings in it.Any advice on this would be appreciated since no one has a clue to why it's doing this.Thanks in advance.Traver
Old 06-09-2007, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

One possibility is a wrong pump gasket , I have seen this were a early 700r4 pump gasket is used on a 4l60e, The later gasket has a tab on it that efectivly prevents fluid from being splashed into the vent, The early gasket should never be used on any model year, But for some reason is still included in some 700r4 kits and some 4l60e/700r4 kits I have run across(combo kits), Its just a possibility but I have seen it a few times, A simple cure without pulling the trans would be to run a hose from it into a catch can with the hose coming through the top on the can but exstending to the bottom into where the fluild would accumulate. This would allow air and the small amounts of fluild to escape but as the trans cooled and the fluid volume dropped it would pull he expelled fluild back into the trans eliminating your drip.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-09-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a leak in the pump gasket could be getting fluid pressure from somewhere
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys!I'll check into it.Traver
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True the pump gasket could be wrong but youd have to be hitting some serious pot holes or doing some off roading to get fluid up there.

Make sure all of the valve body bolts are properly torqued. I had a 700 once that would spit fluid out the vent hole when i road tested it, turns out i forgot to torque one of the bolts on the auxiliary valve body, and for some reason spit fluid. I torqued it down and it quit.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the answers guys but most of them I have to rule out.The reason is that when the trans was first rebuilt and I had it in, it did the exact same thing....leak out the vent.I had a bad convertor with a faulty lockup clutch that pretty much destroyed my rebuild so it had to be taken apart and cleaned and rebuilt.At the time I just chalked the leak out of the vent up to a bad convertor causing crazy heat and the fluid bubbling out of the vent.Now that I have the new convertor in and a fresh rebuild with the exact same thing happening it seems to pretty much rules out the loose pump bolt or wrong pump seal.It would have had to been put together that way twice..not?Traver
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the catch can I suggested would solve the issue, However I cannot think of any other causes , One possibility would be that your dipstick is off considerably and the fuild level is too high . But thats about the only other possible cause I can give , However if the trans is working well and has no issues other than this I would consider making the catch can.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

I agree......a catch can is my easiest solution.Thanks again.Traver