Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone tell me what this is on my 4L80e?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone tell me what this is on my 4L80e?

can anyone tell me what the little tube circled in red does on the attached picture?

can i remove it? if so how? i've given it a damn good yank, but it doesn't want to come out! I don't want to leave it open to the air as their is the potential that it might get soaked in water!

Thanks

Jim
Attached Thumbnails can anyone tell me what this is on my 4L80e?-4l80e-circle-small.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

It is a vent, your not supposed to block it off. And if water gets that high, you have more to worry about than that little tube!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In off road applications like yours what is needed in order to keep water / debris from entering the case vent tube you circled is to put a long rubber hose on it.

Take a piece of Vacuum hose, slide it onto the tube and then route it up the dipstick tube and loop it so that the open end is pointing down... it would be best to put some sort of foam filter on it if you get into some wet situations often though.

Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys- i was assuming it is a vent- i'll add it to my list of things that need breathers- i have at least 5 breather tubes already so one more won't hurt!

my frding depth is a little over 7 feet at the momen- it's not uncommon to be up over my lap in water- and considering my lap is 6 feet off the ground then that's going some!

had the LS1 under a couple of times too and it's been fine, no water ingress and no spluttering!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Wow we could have used that critter in Haltom City the other day , but it still might have went "GLUG-GLUG"