Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower tranny temps can help power???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower tranny temps can help power???

True or False:

By lowering your tranny fluid temps you can gain back power to the ground that is lost through an automatic.

I'm not sure of the answer but I'm just curious of what it would be. Since heat robs horse power it only seems natural to think that cooler tranny fluid temps can help.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That would really only have and affect if the trans was getting hot to the point of slipping , reguarless of temp the trans just transfers power. Though cooler temps may increase its life span.
so in a nut shell FALSE

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-27-2007, 04:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to understand the answer, you must first understand the question,,, or at least the thoughts behind it right?

The reason heat is not condusive to making horsepower is the fact that when air is hot it is very thin... not many oxygen molecules per cubic foot of air. Conversely, when air is cool or cold it is more dense... therefore more oxygen molecules and that makes for a much more efficient combustion of the fuel... more / better combustion = more Horsepower!

So, understanding that set of facts, it can easily be said that indeed transmission temp has no bearing on power levels.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
In order to understand the answer, you must first understand the question,,, or at least the thoughts behind it right?

The reason heat is not condusive to making horsepower is the fact that when air is hot it is very thin... not many oxygen molecules per cubic foot of air. Conversely, when air is cool or cold it is more dense... therefore more oxygen molecules and that makes for a much more efficient combustion of the fuel... more / better combustion = more Horsepower!

So, understanding that set of facts, it can easily be said that indeed transmission temp has no bearing on power levels.

Hope that helps.

I understand about cooler air making more power within the engine. I was just referring to the converter and transmission building up heat and whether or not it would make any difference in power at the wheels. I figured friction builds heat... Lower the heat, reduce the friction... It's just a question I asked myself today and wondered if it made any difference. Thanks for the input guys. Now I know!