Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You think you know the 4l60e cont.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default You think you know the 4l60e cont.....

I posted a little while ago about being in a trans class this summer at SIUC and was stuck on a few questions about the 4l60-e that we had been given. You're guys' responses helped me out alot and I had just a couple more questions to those who would be interested in helping me out a little bit.

The more I learn about these transmissions the more I realize how complicated they really are. But at the same time it gives you a new appreciation for the engineers that think this stuff up. But anyways, on to the questions...

If the lo one way roller clutch was slipping in these transmissions which gear would you loose? I was thinking either first or reverse.

What would happen to transmission operation if the VSS failed?

If you were air checking the 3-4 clutch assembly and air was felt coming out of the forward clutch passage what would this mean?

And I had a couple quick torque converter questions for you too. Would a lower than specification stall speed would indicate a stator that is freewheeling? And when is the stator freewheeling?

Thanks alot guys for your help!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without vss signal most veh default to 2nd or 3rd gear once the code is set, before the code is set i have felt very erratic shifting or none at all. if memory serves me correctly the lo roller is only applied in manual low. otherwise it's freewheeling. while air checking clutch packs if you apply enough pressure you will feel some blow-by. remember they're designed to seal fluid, pay more attention to how little or how much pressure it takes to move the piston full travel. not sure about the convertor question.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks bud, that was pretty much my line of thought on most of them as well. I just needed to know if i was on the right track.... the torque converter question has me stumped though.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

1- If the low roller clutch was slipping you would not be able to move In the OD-D and manual 2 position with the exception of cars that have second gear start. In all other cars you would only be able to begin moving in the manual LO 1 position since this turns on the low reverse clutch effectivly bypassing the low roller clutch. The low/reverse clutch only comes on manual low 1 and reverse.

2- As allready stated if the VSS was unhooked or otherwise not functional you would get a no shift or very irratic shift condition, I have seen both of these conditions occur. And of course the speedo would not work or work erratically.

3- You failed to install or otherwise damaged the ussually green rubber oring around the center of the input drum allowing the 3-4 clutch to leak into the forward clutch circuit.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you need maximum vortex flow torque multiplication the stator should be locked directing the fluid in vortex flow. this would be at acceleration.
at cruising speeds spiral flow is needed because torqe multiplication is not needed but rather coupling speed at this point the stator would be rotating.
if you had a locked stator you would have normal take off and bad top end
if the stator was freewheeling you would have lower stall basically crappy accelaration and good top end

Last edited by Predator T/A; 07-21-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
when you need maximum vortex flow torque multiplication the stator should be locked directing the fluid in vortex flow. this would be at acceleration.
at cruising speeds spiral flow is needed because torqe multiplication is not needed but rather coupling speed
if you had a locked stator you would have normal take off and bad top end
if the stator was freewheeling you would have lower stall basically crappy accelaration and good top end
good explaination converter are not my forte'

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stator freewheels when turbine speed is close to impeller speed (i.e. reaching fluid coupling speed)... i.e. fluid returning from the turbine is hitting the "backside" of the stator vanes instead of the "frontside" of the vanes; hitting the backside freewheels the stator so it doesn't redirect fluid against the impeller rotation (which would otherwise impede the impeller); whereas [when turbine not at coupling speed] hitting the frontside locks the stator and fluid is redirected into the [same] direction of impeller rotation (which assists the impeller).

Yeah, complicated it is...

Quick Reply: You think you know the 4l60e cont.....