Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell housing bolt question (4L60E)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bell housing bolt question (4L60E)?

I am going to be rebuilding my transmission. When I went to take the bell housing off, I did not have the right size star wrench. The t-50 is to small and the t-55 is to big. Is there a special tool that I need to get these bolts out?
Old 12-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Bell housing bolt question (4L60E)?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chad R:
<strong>I am going to be rebuilding my transmission. When I went to take the bell housing off, I did not have the right size star wrench. The t-50 is to small and the t-55 is to big. Is there a special tool that I need to get these bolts out?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">TRY A TORX 500, IT IS A SPECIAL SIZE THAT ONLY GM USES, MOST OFTEN USED ON SEAT FRAME AND SEAT BELT BOLTS THOUGH.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:20 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure what a torx 500 is, but look for a torx 47. This is what they have used on seatbelt bolts in the 80's and beyond. It is also sligtly more rounded than the teeth on a T45 or T50 or T55; you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, if you have wrench flats (6 sides) on the bolts, I would try & crack them loose with a normal socket, and spin them out w/ the Torx. Less chance of breaking a bit.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. The torx 500 was the best fit out of all the bits I tried. It has the thicker teeth that are rounded at the tops. I got one bolt out successfully with it, and broke the teeth off of all the rest of the other bolts. I had to use a chisel to get them out after three days of trying to locate a torx 500. Bad part is the the bolts are 9.50 a peice and I need seven now. I think I am going to try and find some allen bolts, instead of torx.

Quick Reply: Bell housing bolt question (4L60E)?