Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter not locking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter not locking when cold

I have noticed for the last 3 days. As soon as I leave for work in the morning and get on the highway, the converter will not lock for the first cuople miles... I have it tuned to lock at 50mph. Its not doing it until it seems to get a tad bit of heat in it. I let the truck warm up for almost 10 minutes every morning. The trans has a hell of a cooler setup on it so I'm thinking its actually working too well LOL... Lemme know if anyone has had this problem and what I should do...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually it is a tuning feature. Not sure about your tune, but it is absolutely normal for a converter clutch to not be commanded to lock up until the unit reaches operating temp. I personally would not change it.

g
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I'm not, I just mainly wanted to double check and make sure a lockup solenoid wasnt shitting the bed on me... everything is running flawlessly otherwise, it takes about 3 miles @ 65mph (26-2700rpm) for it to heat up enough to lock. After that, all is good. Its been right at 40 here in the mornings for the past couple days.

Do you happen to know what the specified temp is that it allows lockup to occur at?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the answer to your question would be vehicle specific. Meaning that the computer of the vehicle is looking for a certain transmission operating temp before it will allow the TCC to engage. I will be honest that I have never read the actual temp in any technical manual for this to happen. This topic seems to come every year due to the cooler temps in the mornings. As Gil stated it is perfectly normal. Ben maybe you could log it with your tuning software and give us the answer! Vince
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I'll have to PM this link to my tuner and see what he can dig up. I will definitely find out and report back!!!

You're right Vince. I'd be willing to bet its vehicle type specific. I wouldnt see a Camaro having the same temp parameters as a truck LOL.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

While Vince is the expert here, he states that he hasn't read the actual number, but I believe one of the engine temperature sensors (be it coolant, oil) is supposed to read 120+/-. As I said, you have some very good trans experts on here and I am just making a suggestion and I don't know if the number above is correct or not. I asked the same question when my 1992 Camaro was doing the same thing when it got cold outside. When I had my last beater, the thing wouldn't lock up when it started to get cold. What I would look into if I was you is the thermostat in your cooling system. Sometimes these units go bad and they fail in the open position, making your engine either stay really cold or take forever to warm up. Do you have the original thermostat in your truck? How many miles are on it? Do you have heat coming out of your vents before the converter locks? Consider these questions to determine if the cooling thermostat is the culprit. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Everything else is normal... I have a SLP 180* stat in mine. I have heat well before its allowed to lock. I dont think it has anything to do with the engine heat... Just my $2/100
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Okay thats good. For the record, my Camaro does the same thing when it's cold. There is a highway thats about 1 mile from my house, and when I start traveling on the highway right after a cold start the tach will hang at about 2100 rpms when going 60 (it should be at 1500 when locked in 4th with 2.73s). I just let the car gently warm up without pounding on the gas or going faster than 65 and within 2 minutes I hear the engine speed drop and then i start cruising quicker. Its probably normal. On the other hand if it wasn't locking at all while cold, then you have a problem.