Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No third or fourth gear. help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No third or fourth gear. help.

I just recently such as today purchased a 98 trans am with 77k miles on it, but it has no third or fourth gear. The trans. fluid is discolored to a brown color and has a burnt smell to it. When I put it into drive first and second where fine then as soon as it went to upshift to third nothing my car just revved up. Not sure how to diagnosis this. Pretty sure its mechanical failure and needs replaced, but need others opinon before I replace the trans. Any info and help is apreciated.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on your comments I believe that it is fair to say that the 3/4 clutches have failed.
That is going to lead you to removing and replacing the unit.

I would like to encourage you to look at our sales on these same transmissions! Click on the two links in my signature and take a look. If you are interested simply give me a call or p.m. me for details.

Good Luck with your new car!

g
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

SOUNDS like that is the case you need a trans please look at out offerings sale through monday . questions give me a call

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Banned

yep im in the same boat gotta get a new tranny....gotta hate the 4l60e's
Old 11-19-2007, 05:55 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously the 3-4 clutch is either smoked in your cars or the snap ring for this clutch has blown out of the drum. This first photo is where the clutch pack is located in the trans. Where my hand is the location of the clutch and the snap ring. Here is the photo.

This is the 3-4 clutch pack from this unit. This particular pack was still working but was on it's way to failure.

The set of clutches on the left is our FLT 3-4 clutch pack. The clutches in the center are the over run and on the right are the forward. We replace these new in all of our rebuilds. Here is a photo of the clutch packs that we install in our rebuilds.

More photo's of our work can be found in this thread. Feel free to familiarize yourself by viewing the photo's and content in this thread. Here is the link and enjoy the photo's. Vince

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/800809-flt-takes-wow-factor-lot-pics.html
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

My 99 TA is doing the exact same thing!!! I am currently saving up so I can give Vince a call at FLT and order a replacement. Pretty disappointing considering I just bought the car 2 months ago!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Yeah the three and fourth clutches were burnt up I could smell it when I was driving disassembled and replaced damaged components. I works well now. Just trying to break it in.

Quick Reply: No third or fourth gear. help.