Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic trans fluid.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default synthetic trans fluid.....

does anyone here use it? If so, any comments? Pros/cons?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by curtisad
does anyone here use it? If so, any comments? Pros/cons?
You will get a lot of opinions on this subject, but the best thing you could do is use the search function. This has been hashed over and over many times.

With that being said, I have tried Mobile One trans fluid in one of my 4L60E builds when I was still mostly stock and used it both street and strip. I probably put 75 or 80 passes on it and about 5K street miles. It lived for a couple of years until I got the 427 Stroker that I have now. After getting that stroker in, that trans oil went from pure clear red fluid to brown stinking fluid in less than 500 miles with a little over 500 RWHP.

Got Coan to rebuild it to hold up to 700 RWHP and now use regular store brand trans fluid in it. The key to long life is changing the oil. Change it often if you beat on it, and you don't need to spend the money for synthetic trans fluid. Waste of $$$$$ JMHO.
(The Coan built trans is still working perfectly BTW)
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

We have customers runnig both without incident. Personally I cant justify the exspense of many of the synthetics however. I dont think they are worth the money but its a matte of preference and I would say either will serve you well.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running synthetic all the time, then found I could save a tremendous amount of money by using regular fluid and I have had no effects from it. Runs like a champ and if you need to do maintenance on the trans. and need to lose a little fluid, you do not have to worry about valuable dollars on the floor.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya the trans holds like 12 quarts x 5-7 bucks per quart = not worth it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

There are a lot of miss conceptions and miss information about synthetics. I have been using synthetics since 89-90 and love them. I tried and tested a lot of oils and additives over the years.
I use them in any piece of equipment that does not burn or leak oil.
Yes if the equipment leaks or burns oil its expensive but that is the equipment not being up to par not the synthetic lubricant is bad.
In my 2003 Silverado 2500 HD my trans has a temp gauge and the temperature dropped 25 F when I put in the synthetic! In the front and rear axles the factory lubricants looked crappy in no time at all ( I personally checked them after the dealer prep). The front axle came with mineral oil, and the rear with factory synthetic. The rear oil held up better and the front axle was down a lot in less then 4000 miles!
Installed a bypass oil filter system at 10,000 miles in the engine which helps to keep the synthetic oil clean and maintains it in usable condition for 45,000 miles so far by changing the filters and topping the level off. I take oil samples and have it tested so the results are what tell me if the oil is good or not. I use my truck to plow snow in winter, tow my enclosed trailer and race car in summer, all heavy use. The truck has 57,000 plus miles and does not use any oil. The trans fuid has a full flow filter added to it and stays clear red. My towing temperature is equal to my unloaded temperature was with mineral oil.
I used synthetic in my race car with alky fuel, and synthetic in the trans, and rear end. I use it in my zero turn mower, regular mower, synthetic grease in the trailer bearings, etc, etc.
Its all a matter of choice and application but I can tell you the facts show we have saved money over mineral oil and changing the oil every 3000 miles, but more importantly the equipment is much better protected.
My previous truck had 134,000 miles when we bought it, I switched it to synthetic and sold it at 185,000 miles because it was not strong enough to pull the enclosed trailer loaded w/race car. That truck used the equivalent of 1/2 qt every 2,000 miles and when I sold it still used the same amount. We sold it in 2003 to a landscaper who still has it on the road.
Are synthetics for everyone? No, are they good? Definitely in my experience!

Carlos