Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tranny Fluid

What kind of trahhy fluid are you A4 fellas running?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercon Dexron III. nothing else. and brand does not matter.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ........

synthetic or non synthetic?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had someone build your trans, go with what he/she recommends as they warranty the trans. Builders see what works well as they do this for a living. I have been building for 32 years. In the old days, it was widely known to run type F atf, especially if you used the red type of clutches. I still do today in my 4L75E-02 SS, 4000 Vigilante. I have gone to ATRA, ATSG, etc.. seminars for years and the big question today is, "what about synthetics and Lucas Oil treatment?". "Synthetics work great for metal parts, but frictions can slip under great loads" is what I've heard in the past. Amsoil has an atf that advertises a friction modifier and has been tested in motorhomes. I personally had experience with Lucas on a friends 98 Tahoe 4WD that had a bad planetary for 7 months that I knew of. He did drive it very gingerly. I told him to get it into the shop, but he never seemed to have the time. When it broke trying to leave work a few weeks ago I told him I would try to get him a core to build as I knew the trans would be destroyed as in the past. That Lucas was the ****. There was hardly a scratch anywhere. If this were a testimonial, this would be the perfect case. The sun gear was completely ground through the Torrington bearing AND the planetary casing. My point is, until there is extensive testing for a period of time use what your builder recommends. My advise is check the oil often for smell, color, metal on the stick, etc... I take my pan off once a month because I am hard on my trans. I have alot of money in the converter and the trans. The time and money is nothing compared to catastrophic failure. Catch it early. If you just cruise the car and beat it now and then, keep an eye on things and change the oil AND filter every 20,000 miles. I use quality parts in anything I do. Look for the best deal, never sacrifice quality. I suggest this to all of my customers. I think as time goes on, more people will tell their stories about their oil preferences and the abuse it took. Hopes some of this helps.